95 tranny swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 tranny swap

mikertldg

Reaction score
My auto tranny went on 95 explorer and i am asuming it is shot cause the fluid smells burnt and it wont move. I have a 92 ranger that the motor is shot but the tranny is good but it is a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know if this swap is possible and if it is a good idea? Also i been looking for a guide on how this is done but nothing! Any help would be great thanks

My auto tranny went on 95 explorer and i am asuming it is shot cause the fluid smells burnt and it wont move. I have a 92 ranger that the motor is shot but the tranny is good but it is a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know if this swap is possible and if it is a good idea? Also i been looking for a guide on how this is done but nothing! Any help would be great thanks

If you prefer a manual transmission, it looks like a good idea on the surface! Lookin' at some real heavy-duty work to pull the swap off, though.

You would first need to determine whether the manual from the '92 has an integral clutch housing (no separate "bell" housing); if so, will it fit the bolt pattern on the rear of the '95 engine?

Second, if above "flies", you need a clutch pedal assembly, clutch "master" cylinder and associated fluid line, a manual transmission engine flywheel, possibly a change of starter motors, is '95 4WD? Is '92 4WD? Will rear of '92 transmission be compatible with transfer case, length of driveshaft(s), means of U-Joint connection to transmission output shaft?

Third, the PCM (computer) in the '95 will "throw" trouble codes, assuming you get the 5-speed working, so ya gotta get a PCM made to work with a manual trans, instead of automatic.

Are you pretty mechanically-inclined? I have done many such conversion jobs; it can be a real P.I.T.A. to put together. imp

I have a complete donor vehicle so clutch pedal and assemble is all there. I am somwhat mechanicly inclined so i aint too concerned about this swap. The tranny in the donor is a mazda m50d-r1 and does not have a removable bell housing! both are 4 wheel drive! I read in a forum that all 4L bolt patterens are the same but aint sure about the back sidr of the tranny to bolt up to the transfer case! I am nervous tho cause this will be a big project for me but how do you learn right!

Back