• Register Today It's free!

95 vs. 96 4.0 engine

Barcuss

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I picked up a 96 4.0 motor from a local junk yard but the main wiring harness is different. The connector that plugs into the ecm on the firewall has 4 rows of pins and my 95 has 3 rows of pins and there is 2 large connectors on the back side of the motor that connect close to the top of the transmission bell housing and on my 95 I only have 1 of those large connectors.

If I remove that wiring harness and replace it with my original harness will it work or could I have problems with emissions and/or problems with it running at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the sensors and intake from the 95 engine have to be put on the 96 motor as the 95 is obd 1 , and the 96 is obd 2 ,,

they may have different values on the sensors that make the gauges wrong,,and affect the way the ecm operates,,

the sensors and intake from the 95 engine have to be put on the 96 motor as the 95 is obd 1 , and the 96 is obd 2 ,,

Are the '95's that have OBD II all after a certain date?

I believe 95 was the transition year from OBD I to II. The wiring harness for OBD I should have the OBD I connector and spout connector on it inside the engine compartment. OBD II will not have these connectors.

If I am going to have to change the intake and all the sensors I believe I am going to take the 96 engine back to the junk yard and exchange for a 95 with my same wiring harness.

The engine from the junk yard also has two wires going into the side of the oil pan which my original engine does not have.

Back