'96 6-Cyl Explorer warm start problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 6-Cyl Explorer warm start problems

benchill

Reaction score
I've got a '96 Eddie Bauer 6-Cyl 2WD Explorer that starts and runs fine but after it warms up when I try to start it it turns over starts and stumbles and dies. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get it to stay running. No check engine lights or anything. I would appreciate any input that you guys may have.
Thanks!

I've heard of this before, but I can't remember exactly what it is. As I recall it has something to do with the cooling system. I might be way out in left field, but you might as well check into it (maybe someone else could give you some info on it and if I hear anything I'll let you know).

There is a TSB for the '95 Explorers (and possibly later models also) concerning a vapor lock problem. This happened to me a couple of times last summer. Couldn't get the vehicle started or if it did start, it sounded like it didn't want to keep running. I quit using the brand of gas that was in the tank when this happened and have not had a problem with it since.

Back