'96,'97 life expectancy and issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96,'97 life expectancy and issues

77bronco

Reaction score
City, State
Benicia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I am looking for a '96, or '97 explorer v8. How many miles can I expect from these newer v8's? How about the auto trannies.

I am used to the old-school 302 carbed engine with a c4, running forever. Can I expect the same?

thanks

bk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes they will run as long if not longer if taken care of

the 5.0 will run forever but the rest of the X will fall apart around it.

Originally posted by dondiesel444
the 5.0 will run forever but the rest of the X will fall apart around it.
Eh, well I wouldn't say that. You just got unlucky. ;) True, it won't last as long as a Bronco, but then again, it's a LOT more comfortable and safer than a Bronco. There's more to break, so something will. I would still say a V-8 X with the 4R70W (C4 descendent mind you) will easily go 200K miles or more. So you break a door lock actuator? Fix it you lazy bum. ;)

it's not just a door lock actuator, don't get me started with theis thig, everytime I get it running right, something happens and I have to dump more $$$ into it. this has been the most troublesome vehicle I have every owned. I've had (2) Bronco's-1 5.0L, (3) VW"s and my F-350.

Originally posted by dondiesel444
it's not just a door lock actuator, don't get me started with theis thig, everytime I get it running right, something happens and I have to dump more $$$ into it. this has been the most troublesome vehicle I have every owned. I've had (2) Bronco's-1 5.0L, (3) VW"s and my F-350.
Dang, well, I'm glad mine is a tank. How many miles on it? I just can't see how people can have problems. Mine is perfect. I can't say anything else about it. The Explorer is the best vehicle we have ever owned, period.

Back