• Register Today It's free!

96 Ex fuel pump problem

Jameskennedy

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Was having a little hesitation in First and Second so I kinda figured it was gonna go. On the way home I stopped to check the mail, and when I tried to start it she wouldnt fire. Thank God I was only a 1/2 mile from home so I grabbed one of the Sons and the F-250 and a tow rope and dragged her home. And sure as **** no Humming from the Gas Tank. Any ideas, with no hum ya think pump os a goner. And anyone got a spare they willing to part with at a reasonable price or maybe trade fer sumpin.

did you check the inertia switch? The relay? All fuses? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? There are a few things to check before you start throwing parts at it.

Nope just happened last night at 1:30 in the morning, gonna check the relay and fuse when I gets home, theres absolutely no buzz from the pump though. and for the last couple of weeks it seemed as though in first and second it was a bit stuttery at first. And at lights in neutral the rpms sometimes would dip then recover.

As Cobra stated, check the simple stuff first (especially the FP relay). The last thing you want to have to do is replace the pump.

Back