• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer $350

Derrickmd18

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore md
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer
I brought a 96 ford explorer for $350. currently working on it to make it a daily driver so I can take my Subaru outback off the road and fix it.

Screenshot_SmartSelect_2016-04-28-18-40-32.png

it has a D4 on the sticker but I don't know what it means but I think its a OHV motor. its a 2WD.

saturday i'm replacing the lower ball joints, battery, and stereo head unit. May have to do door speakers but IDK yet have to take the door panels off and see if speakers are blown. it had a aftermarket JVC stereo in it but its old and doesn't have bluetooth so replacing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

D4 should denote the gear ratio as 3.73 with a limited slip differential.

Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder?

Maybe post a couple offices and some can help you identify some of the items you're not familiar with.

Good Luck with it

MT

its a v6. I can take more pics saturday. but it doesn't say SOHC on the cover.

Nice buy. 2wd Explorers are basically unheard of in this part of the country (WA state) , but that means you won't find one at that price here either.

Nice buy. 2wd Explorers are basically unheard of in this part of the country (WA state) , but that means you won't find one at that price here either.

2wd demands a higher price???

It appears to be a V6 (no V8 badges on the front fender). Being a '96 it would be the OHV engine. '97 was the first year for the SOHC V6.

2wd demands a higher price???

Sorry I realize that didn't make sense.. I meant 4WD models would rarely be found here for $350.. You would probably have a hard time selling a 2WD here.

That picture... I think you need a new camera more than a bluetooth stereo. ;)

Is there anything else wrong with it? If not, that's one heck of a great deal!

Also good luck with the lower ball joints. They can be a pain to press out sometimes...

Unless you really need 4WD, IMO, better to get a 2WD truck when they are this old. 4WD adds a lot of complexity and components that get pretty crunchy after 20 years.

You have the better engine. If it runs and drives reasonably well, good find!

95-96 is only OHV.
97+ could have OHV or SOHC.

You are lucky there! OHV may be a turtle but they are extremely reliable.

Also, on your 96, replace the idler pulley (for sure) and maybe the tensioner pulley too. They are around $10 bucks and are a pattern failure item that can get you stranded. You don't know if it was replaced or not.

Nice find. Keep an eye on oil and coolant levels at first. lower intake manifold bolts are known to loosen up and the gaskets themselves to go bad. But besides the goofy set-up has coolant passages in the cast aluminum lower intake manifold, you can't really go wrong with the OHV 4.0L.

ok thank you. Have two problems I need to fix. need to replace the thermostat because the coolant gauge won't stay steady. think the thermostat is sticking.

also need to fix the rear hatch is won't open. was working find and now I hear it unlocking in the rear hatch with the remote unlock but handle won't move and the glass or hatch won't open. even with the key.

ok thank you. Have two problems I need to fix. need to replace the thermostat because the coolant gauge won't stay steady. think the thermostat is sticking..

Is it just getting too hot, which would tend to indicate a stuck shut T-stat, or moving up and down more than that which would tend to indicate a bad coolant sensor or connection to it, or possibly air in the system?

moving up and down more then it should. it goes up higher then it should then dropps way down then up and down. its not holding steady. so going to replace the thermostat and flush the system and go from there.

moving up and down more then it should. it goes up higher then it should then dropps way down then up and down. its not holding steady. so going to replace the thermostat and flush the system and go from there.

Replace the sender too, there was a tsb on that. The one wire one, not the two wire.

Even with a new T-stat and sender, my 96 gauge moves around a small bit (but always in the normal range). I was told its normal for that engine. Before the sender and the tstat it would do the same as yours.

Ford parts strongly suggested for both, they are inexpensive and will probably last the life of the truck.

also need to fix the rear hatch is won't open. was working find and now I hear it unlocking in the rear hatch with the remote unlock but handle won't move and the glass or hatch won't open. even with the key.

You are going to have to take the trim off and investigate. The mechanism could be jammed up because the PO never used it. Be prepared to empty a can of the lube of your choice in the latch mechanism. I like fluid film for locks, it is not that toxic either. Autozone has it. Has lots of other uses too, it is mostly a rust protectant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back