• Register Today It's free!

96' Explorer steering.

GM4WALLS

Reaction score
City, State
Sunny Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I am new to the board, so be easy if this is a stupid question. I am planning a straight axle swap for my 96' Explorer 2 dr. Sport 4x4, 4.0 V-6, AT, The truck is 100% stock, and has 300,000+ miles. I have a complete CJ-7 I can get dirt cheap as a complete donor. My intents are to build in 3 phases... phase one, straight axle conversion for the front... 4 link and coil overs, build new rear axle mounts and relocate rear end under leaf springs. Phase 2, 4 link and coilovers for the rear. Phase 3, V-8 swap.
My questions involve steering, tranny compatability.

#1... when I swap to a straight axle, what will I need to modify for steering. I can fabricate and modify, but I would like some insight.

#2 ... the plan is to retain the stock tranny and transfercase if possible. If not, what transmission and transfer case would you recommend.

The truck will be used for light wheeling and daily off road use. All info is appreciated!

How's the engine? Pics of the vehicle?

Engine is good... no knocks or smoke. Truck has plenty of pep. I just drove the truck out to Louisiana for a new job... 600 miles with the cruise set at 80 MPH, and got 22 MPG in the process. I am posting from my droid, so I can't post pics, but I can e-mail them.

Back