96 Gauge cluster swaping, what years ok? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Gauge cluster swaping, what years ok?

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
my trip / odometer stopped working on my 96 xlt and I found a 2000 explorer at the junkyard with just about the same mileage. Can I swap the 2000 speedometer/gauge cluster into my 96?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did the exact opposite, and swapped a 95-97 cluster into my 98. the only differences is when your door is open, instead of it saying "door ajar" it will say "fuel door". that and the color is going to be different. 95-97 is a blueish green, where 98 and up are VERY green.

I'd say 96-97 to be super safe. 95 may work. But like vroomzoomboom said, they change color tints about every year! :)

I've got one from a '97 with a working trip odometer but a bad speedometer.

Wan't to trade:p:

Seriously I wouldn't be that worried over the trip odomoter not working. It could be worse as you can see.

I have an 01 Sport in my 95. But I used the guts of my 95 speedo to get around having to deal with the laws on replacing a speedometer. So that won't help you much. You could also see an erratic behavior due to a different VSS signal by using the later speedo. Getting the proper lights to work (door ajar, etc) is no problem. You just need to repin one of the plugs to get the right lights to come on where they are supposed to.

Oh yea...you might have to swap the guts to the temp gauge too.

well.. part of me wants to just buy the stupid $30 worm gear and take it apart and fix it. But I am always weary of taking things that have quite a bit of tiny parts apart. I know for most it would be a no worry, but I need to record mileage for my job and also, it helps oil changes (my driving fluctuates sometimes heavy sometimes I barely drive). Now when you say erratic behavior what are really the chances of this, does the circuitry change that much?

Back