• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT factory fogs missing(?)

Mr.Terry

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi all, first post, but searched before asking...

I recently bought a 96 XLT from a young college kid, who had very little knowledge of the vehicle's history. He did tell me, however, that the previous owner had crashed it; apparently hit a J barrier on I71 and did enough damage to the front end that the insurance company totaled it. (Salvage title reaffirms at least that much.) Also said that there was in excess of $5k worth of work done on it to get it back on the road, and based on what I saw, and what the guys at the shop told me when I went to get brakes and shocks done, it was done right.

On to my fog light question.

I have the switch on the dash for the fog lights. I have cutouts in the bumper for fog lights. I have, at least on the driver's side, a factory wiring harness receptacle that appears to be capped, but of the appropriate length to be for a fog light.

But no lights, nor mounts for them.

First question: is it possible that this vehicle never had factory fogs to begin with? If so, how difficult is it to install factory fogs?

Second question: If this was an aftereffect of the crash damage, in that they cut their losses and didn't bother to replace them, how can I know for certain that the harness I see on the driver's side is indeed that which is for the factory fogs?

Bear in mind, I have not done too much under-vehicle inspection yet. Been raining pretty much the whole time I have owned it, and I don't have a garage to pull it into... kinda reluctant to lay in the wet gravel driveway in the rain just to chase a side project ;)

But, since I have fog lights on the brain now, are there aftermarket assemblies that will fit the stock holes in the bumper cleanly and not look hokey, where might I find such a beast, and can I use the factory switch for them? If not, how can I easily get through the firewall with wiring for a switch?

I appreciate any help or direction you guys can offer. I'm no mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined and usually do well with intelligent instruction. Plus, I have friends with garages and lots of tools, and a taste for cheap beer :D

I'm not going to be a whole lot of help with most of what you needed to know but i do know lmctruck.com sells the factory style fog lights/mounting bracket and pigtails for the bulb. I'm sure other members of the site will be able to answer your other questions.

my guess is they just saved the cost when rebuilding the vehicle.

If it has the switch and harness, turn the switch on and check the harness for voltage with a DVOM or test light.

Back