• Register Today It's free!

96 XLT Premium Sound w/CD

ericf52389

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
My 1996 XLT recently was broken into by some neighborhood punks :thumbdwn:(for the second time:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:) and I have begun the task of repairing what they thrashed. They cut the wires behind the factory female harness, so I had to order the two replacements from PartsExpress.com. I printed off the wire color codes from the12volt.com, but it seems as if they weren't matching up right. I tried all sorts of combinations, but I can't seem to get the power right. Can I not just hook up what I think is the power wire to the constant12+ wire from the harness, and plug it in to atleast see the clock come on? I had an aftermarket stereo in when it was stolen, so I am putting the factory back in. It as an absolute mess and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help. Oh and the stock player worked when it was removed so I don't see any obvious reason for it not working now.

Left behind is 9 wires not bound together of the following colors:
1)Black
2.)Light Blue w/Pink stripe
3)Light Blue w/Red Stripe
4.)Blue
5.)Green w/Black Stripe
6)Black w/Green Stripe
7)Yellow w/Black stripe
8)Green w/Purple stripe
9) Tan or maybe Beige

Then there are 12 wires bound together with a silver wire with no coloring(guessing some sort of chassis ground maybe):
1)Orange w/Black stripe
2)Green w/ Red Stripe
3) Purple
4) Gray
5)White/ Orange stripe
6) White w/Red stripe
7)Light Blue
8) Light Blue w/Black
9) Dark Brown
10)Purple w/ White
11)Yellow
12)Green

I am assuming that all of these wires need to be reconnected to something and the chart I got from 12 volt seems like it doesn't have half of them.

So my situation is a mess but I will upload pictures here in a bit....

Sorry I was unaware I couldn't post attachments. But if there is anyone who thinks they may be able to help me I have pictures with every one of the aforementioned wires labeled.

Called BestBuy and they said they could do it for $30-50. Why they couldn't nail down a price beats me, but I will do it if its 30 I suppose, I haven't had any luck and I feel like I have tried everything.

Back