97 4.0 SOHC- AC elimination/bypass??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0 SOHC- AC elimination/bypass???

brnltjo

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
What is the part # or length of a new belt(any manufacurer) to bypass the a/c compressorre in place of the stock one? In 94' Ford had a "w/o a/c option/routing", but doesn't in 97'. The compressor is definitely locking up and the pulley bearing is froze and tearing the belt. I just want a cheap fix, don't need or want a/c. . Is it easier just to remove compressor and get a bypass pulley? Seems someone would have a smaller belt that would work for that year/model. I tried to trace a string around new belt path, but almost entirely impossible due to lack of room! Ford Service/Parts were no help either. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the a/c comp clutch locked up? Try disconnecting the clutch control wire from the comp.

Yup...clutch is locked up and wire/plug has been disconnected. Pulley/bearing is 90% froze. Entire engine compartment is covered in blackish brown belt dust.

the oreilly web site has a pt # for a belt without a/c masterpro K060810 but that is for a 4.0 pushrod engine on a 95, when i tried to put in a 97 it had three options, 4.0 pushrod, 4.0 ohc, and 5.0 pushrod. you also might have to get an idler pulley to go in place of the comp www.oreillyauto.com www.rockauto.com www.partstrain.com www.lmctruck.com these sites may be able to help. ld look but i got an appt.

2000 ford explorer eddie bauer. 4.0 need to bypass ac with a new belt. I have no idea what to do or how to get one. Will schucks or napa know???

what i did was trace the belt route w/o AC pulley with a piece of heavy string and take measurement to Autozone to buy a belt that size. Be prepared, when you restart the truck, the power steering will probably chatter/shake. This is air that needs to be "worked/driven" out. I didn't realize this so I scrapped the simple and cheap belt bypass idea and bought a AC bypass pulley. With this you need to totally disconnect the AC compressor and mount the bypass pulley and new factory sized belt. Works like a charm. AdvanceAuto had the pulley for around $30.

I just did this on my 97 4.0 SOHC, going with the shorter belt and bypassing the AC compressor completely. Now my idle is hovering around 500-600RPM and it's dying out when I'm not on the gas. Any idea on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Back