97 4.0L OHV swaping to a 05 Mustang 4.0 SOHC need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0L OHV swaping to a 05 Mustang 4.0 SOHC need help

jelder

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I have searched and know that alot of people have done this swap, But I'm still alittle unsure of what all I need. I have a 97 ex with a dead 4.0L OHV engine, I also have a 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC engine minus upper intake, fuel rail and valve covers. What I need to know is what do I need to get to make this engine work in the ex. Will the OHV exhaust manifold work on the SOHC. What upper intake and fuel rail do I need. And any other things that will point me in the right direction

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The manifolds off your OHV will not work.
I'm guessing you need manifolds off an explorer SOHC.

The real issue is the electronics, I would think.

Yes I'm going to need lots of help with that

I'll be following your progress.
The thought of a nice, newer motor to drop in is awesome.

Alright I've lined up a 98 to get all of the parts I'll need. It would be nice if someone could give me a complete list of ever thing I'll be needing to do this swap. I know that I need the upper intake, fuel rail, valve covers, wiring and censors, accessory brackets and exhaust manifold. Anything else that I've missed

Looks like I'm also going to have to change the throttle cable too unless someone has away to make the OHV one work

Looks like I'm also going to have to change the throttle cable too unless someone has away to make the OHV one work

Replace it with a SOHC cable. I dont know what year they changed the fire wall, but the hole where the cable mounts is different between a '95 4 door and a '01 sport. I had to grind a little on the firewall with a dremel to fit the newer cable.

I mentioned that you need the cable in one of the other threads you started.

It all depends on what computer and harness your going to run. '97-98 had a variable length intake runner so the intake, harness and computer are different then any other year.

Your '97 trans is a 5r55e, but its also different then any other year. It has an extra sensor that later years dont use. Is it compatible with a 98+ computer? I dont know.

The OHV and SOHC Y-pipes are different. I dont know if the 'stang manifolds are even the same as the Ex's manifolds.

Your motor mount brackets and mounts will work.
Your stock rad, fan, and shroud will work. The rad hoses from the OHV are close enough, but might require a little trimming.
The throttle cable may be different, they were on my '95/'01 SOHC swap.
The power steering pressure line and cooler are different.
The A/C lines are different.

So I findly Got it in and all together. I had to have my y-pipe shortened 2" on each side.
It runs alright but is hard to start when its cold (-20C) I'm getting some running lean codes but I also for got to change the plugs, it's running the Mustang plugs. Beleave it was not an easy swap to do without a doner I had to hunt for parts and have some custom made.

Back