97 air ride swap to standard help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 air ride swap to standard help.

Reaction score
City, State
DE, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer, Eddie V8
Hi
So I've been doing some research on swapping my stock air ride, in my 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer, for standard shocks. I still have have some questions though(and yes I've searched). Note: I am using shackles in the rear and torsion twist in the front.

Since there is air ride equipped in the front and back....
1. What shock would be best for the front. I've seen some people run with ranchos. opinions and reviews are welcome (if possible could you include the length and or part number)
2. For the back I was considering Monroe sensa trac. Would that work? (again what length)
3. What is the easiest way to disable the air ride warning on the message center. I've tried other methods on other threads (turned switch off, pulled fuses, etc.) but none have worked.

I hate to post another thread on this, but I'm still confused on this topic(especially the part numbers).
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just take out the shocks from the air ride system, and put in new shocks.

As to turning the message off, can't help you there.

But I'm running Rancho's in the front, and sensatrac load adjust in the rear. (Check my signature)

You don't need a longer shock for a TT and Shackles. It's not a big enough lift to offset the shock.

Delaware? What part?

Hi
So I've been doing some research on swapping my stock air ride, in my 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer, for standard shocks. I still have have some questions though(and yes I've searched). Note: I am using shackles in the rear and torsion twist in the front.

Since there is air ride equipped in the front and back....
1. What shock would be best for the front. I've seen some people run with ranchos. opinions and reviews are welcome (if possible could you include the length and or part number)
2. For the back I was considering Monroe sensa trac. Would that work? (again what length)
3. What is the easiest way to disable the air ride warning on the message center. I've tried other methods on other threads (turned switch off, pulled fuses, etc.) but none have worked.

I hate to post another thread on this, but I'm still confused on this topic(especially the part numbers).
Thanks in advance!

Hi Jesus,

I have a 98 Explorer Eddie Bauer (front & rear air shocks - ARC System)

---Did u EVER find how to turn off the "air ride system is OFF" message ??? I cut the pink wire with green tracer at/ under message center like the schematic shows, but NOTHING CHANGED! Please let me know-- it drives me nuts.

---Also, what shocks did u end up using on front & rear to replace the original ARC shocks?

I've already gone the route of replacing them with the Monroe airshock replacements for the OEM air shocks. Later, however, I just ended up dismantling the entire arc system-- it has been nothing but a massive headache & major hassle. I would like to just go with the safest non-air shocks. ( I don't take this thing on the freeway anymore because of the propensity for rolling over and the Monroe air shock replacements make it feel even worse!)

Thank you

I bet air ride exes came with very soft spring rates, because the air ride is a spring. Your best bet is probably the Monroe Coilover in the back. The front probably has the soft torsion bars so you may want to move up to 1 or A bars. My setup below really cleaned up the ride. Reflex is a great shock, but getting harder to find in the front. Rides nicer than some new SUVs. The poly sway bar links help too.

Back