97 awd explorer transfer case disengaging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 awd explorer transfer case disengaging

slick1289

Reaction score
City, State
Sand lake Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer 4.0 awd
I have a question I hope I can get solved. I have a 97 explorer 4.0 contral trac awd when going down the road sometimes it will loose foward momentum and start making a clicking noise in the transfer case. When we stop it will still do it until we switch the the auto switch to 4 high or low then drive for a few feet and then switch the switch to auto and it will engage in to auto again and go. It would do this once a week for a few weeks but now it does it a couple of times a day. Is the transfer case shot

First you have 4x4 not AWD.

You have the very common shift rail bore issue. Look at the 4405 rebuild thread.

First you have 4x4 not AWD.

You have the very common shift rail bore issue. Look at the 4405 rebuild thread.

Your right it does say contral trac awd on the back, So the clicking noise in the transfer case is a shift rail bore issue? It did it again last night I was going down the road and it lost forward momentum and started clicking in the transfer case. I stopped and switched the selector switch to 4x4 low and waited a second for it to engage and put it back in auto and it was good to go

Back