97 explorer 4wd 5r55e and bw4405 going in despair here | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer 4wd 5r55e and bw4405 going in despair here

alexwnc

Reaction score
City, State
wnc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
97 explorer bought from original owner withno reverse and whining high pitch noise while coasting....dissapears under load.
Replaced tranny with rebuilt unit...no luck no fwd or reverse gears.
Took rebuilt tranny out had it looked at again and guy says tranny is fine.
Put tranny back in and nothing...switch it to 4wd low now it moves fwd but still no reverse.
Took transfer case out and put a salvage yard tcase back in.
Truck shifts perfect!!!!! Fwd and reverse gears work like they should, however i still have a faint noise while coasting that goes away when under load its like the tcase going in neutral??
What to do now?? I am worn out and sick of this.
Bad tcase still??
Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like both transfer cases are worn out, why not take your original tcase to your tranny guy and have him take a look, it may just need a fork or something small, that you could rob from the one thats in the truck now.

Yep....I am gonna have to pull the tcase out again and have the rebuilder look at both.
I didn't think a one owner truck with 98k miles and maintenance records would end up a nightmare like this. I was warned not to buy it...but did I listen? :)

Same selector switch yes....different tcase motors.
I don't have an extra selector switch but the sw seems to work fine.

Quote:
The oil pump stabilizer wears into the side of the case and the shift rail wears it's bore as well. When this happens the shift fork can disengage the shift cam and the transfer case fall out of gear. The first indication you will get is a whirring noise when you let off the gas.

I took my old original tcase apart and sure enough the oil pump stabilizer was wearing into the case and the shift rail had some side to side play in it while in its bore.
Have you guys fixed this before???
I am thinking JB WELD the shift rail into the bore??? I don't want to send my half tcase in to have a bushing installed...I want to get this thing on the road asap.
I have my own fix for the oil pump stabilizer using a tiny drill and a small pin.
Any other suggestions or ideas??
The Tcase looks fine otherwise internally.

I tack weld a small piece of steel to the stabilizer tab that gives it a bigger wear area and covers the worn spot.

We have our cases sleeved, its the best way to go.

DSC05356_zps0ab19a5d.jpg

My worm gear/shaft pin BROKE!! AHH!!!

Where could I get just the shaft???
Does anybody on here have an extra one???
Thanks

You can get that on ebay or I suggest tbtrans.com, and also very sound advice from JKO80 regarding the sleeve. And may I suggest checking the range collar if it slipped out with the grinding sound you may want to reeplace it, and also I have had excellent results with the enhanced shift fork from omegamachine.com. or I believe the roller upgrade is a SONNAX fix, if you can find it separate its less than twenty dollars US.

You can get that on ebay or I suggest tbtrans.com, and also very sound advice from JKO80 regarding the sleeve. And may I suggest checking the range collar if it slipped out with the grinding sound you may want to reeplace it, and also I have had excellent results with the enhanced shift fork from omegamachine.com. or I believe the roller upgrade is a SONNAX fix, if you can find it separate its less than twenty dollars US.

I can't seem to find the part anywhere.
I looked on ebay...and omegamachiner.com, tbtrans.com
Does anybody have the part number for the worm gear shaft?

Did you ever get a shaft? Old thread I know but just had the same thing happen to me and found the shaft at Riverside Gear.

Back