97 Ford Explorer XLT headlights

stavroulawill

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer xlt
Hello,

I love my 97 Ford Explorer and I call her Goldie... That is the reason I joined this forum so I can help keep her alive. She has been as good gold. II enlist the help of my husband as much as possible who is mechanically inclined and has fixed some issues, like serpentine belt replacement, brakes, water pump, oxygen sensor and other things.
We are stumped with the current headlight issue. Please help!
The headlight switch isn't the issue. We replaced it. When the headlight switch is OFF the headlights come on at night & running lights will not work with headlights. When I turn on the headlight switch the headlights turn off and only the running lights work? Its catty wompus wierd...
Does anyone have any ideas. Again the its not the headlight switch. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

I would examine the wiring to the headlight switch to see if it has been fiddled with, is not stock or wired correctly (note switch
contact #'s and wire colors on attached wiring diagram) or first swap around the relays shown on the left side of that diagram.

You can also use the diagram along with a multimeter to trace where power stops when it shouldn't.

The relays "might" be located in a box up under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell. This picture "might" be right for each respective relay's position. I could have sworn I had other relay box layouts to compare this to in order to try to determine if they matched or what differences there were, but I can't find them at the moment.

Relay Box Interior 1998 XLT.JPG

Attachments

• headlights-autolamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 95

Welcome to the forum!

I would examine the wiring to the headlight switch to see if it has been fiddled with, is not stock or wired correctly (note switch
contact #'s and wire colors on attached wiring diagram) or first swap around the relays shown on the left side of that diagram.

You can also use the diagram along with a multimeter to trace where power stops when it shouldn't.
Thanks. We’ll try it and report back. Thanks.

Just because you replaced something doesn’t mean it’s not an issue. You could have received the wrong part, or it could be failed out of the box.

Do you have auto headlights (a slider bar in the bottom of your mirror?)

Do you have a slider switch on the bottom of your rear view mirror ? This controls the headlights too.

It can be adjusted to allow more time for the lights to shut off when you turn the vehicle off. Slid all the way to the left turns this luxury feature off.

Do you have a slider switch on the bottom of your rear view mirror ? This controls the headlights too.

It can be adjusted to allow more time for the lights to shut off when you turn the vehicle off. Slid all the way to the left turns this luxury feature off.

No slider switch on the bottom of the rear view mirror. Thanks.

okay. We’ll trouble shoot some more based on your suggestions. Do you know of any mechanics that specializes this issue here in Henderson Or Las Vegas Nevada. If we can’t fix it I’ll need to find someone that can. I’m not in a position to get another car . I’d rather fix this one. It’s has 158k the engine runs strong and I want to keep restoring Goldie. She is my work car. I run her to work and back everyday. Thirty miles away from home she takes me. I want to keep fixing this car as much as possible rather than making car payments. Thanks.

Back