97 Limited Aftermarket Shocks - Need Guidance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Limited Aftermarket Shocks - Need Guidance

Paul Days

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited
I've done the search and just wanted to know what is the LATEST on this. I have a 1997 Explorer Limited which needs some work. I know for a FACT that my front shocks are gone, clunk, oil leak, plowing. So I will search for some nice aftermarket shocks for the front (any recommendations? I don't off road, just use the utility of the SUV)

Now I did notice that the air compressor is constantly blowing, but i do not get a Air Ride Error or Malfunction on the center computer, could it be a leak in the line? Maybe it is the shocks, if it is, here is my main concern: Which way is the best to go. I WILL want to eliminate the Air Ride system, unless I can find an Air Ride Alternative. I saw a post of someone in Ebay who has a store that sells fairly prices Ford OE Air Ride Shocks, he did respond that people with our years' explorer have install them, but that these shocks DO NOT have the electric lines that normally come, only the air line plugs, so can someone explain this.

People who have done this, please give me some insight, i don't mind installing standard shocks on the back.

Thanks.

great site,

Paul

You can replace all your shocks with non air ride shocks. Or, you can replace with after market air ride shocks. I had the same questions as you did when I had to rplace mine. Check out www.rockauto.com for after market air shocks. The after market shocks do not have the electronic ride control. All this means is that there are no wires on the the top of the shocks. Your air ride system will not be affected if you use these shocks. What we have discovered is that Ford takes the monroe shock puts it in a ford box and charges an arm and a leg. It is the exact same shock as the monroe aftermarket air shock with out the electronic ride contorl. The part numbers are Monroe 40006 right rear $59.00, 40007 left rear $59.00, 40005 for the fronts $119.79 each . If you choose not to go with air ride shocks there are tons of other options. I like my air ride. When my fat a$$ fridends pile in my truck it doesnt sag, plus its a cool feature to raise the truck when the 4x4 is on.

Back