2016 Limited Aftermarket upgrade to 13.6 tablet radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited Aftermarket upgrade to 13.6 tablet radio

Boti

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer LImite

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just placed an order for an aftermarket radio system from Phoenix Automotive ( phoenixautomotiveinc.com ).

[ Pre-order ] 13.6" Android 10 Vertical Screen
Navigation Radio for Ford Explorer 2011 - 2019
- Sc7862 6 g ram 128 g rom Android 10 w/ built-in carplay Android Auto / With OEM SYNC2

I have seen some utube videos and looks like an awesome system.
Anybody has tried this update?
Issues ?
Comments ?

Boti

They have come down in price!

I was thinking about this but in 2019 and they were I think 1300...and you lost OEM functionality. So I pulled things apart and spliced an amp, dsp and speakers into the OEM head unit.

The only thing I would do before you button everything up is make sure it works...and make absolutely sure the "tablet" they are using is up to the task. Sometimes things like this use a really old chipset in their tablets which causes obvious problems with lag, function, screen washout in the sun, etc.

Be interested in a follow up after you are done.

They have come down in price!

I was thinking about this but in 2019 and they were I think 1300...and you lost OEM functionality. So I pulled things apart and spliced an amp, dsp and speakers into the OEM head unit.

The only thing I would do before you button everything up is make sure it works...and make absolutely sure the "tablet" they are using is up to the task. Sometimes things like this use a really old chipset in their tablets which causes obvious problems with lag, function, screen washout in the sun, etc.

Be interested in a follow up after you are done.
Thanks. It is on pre-order (updated android 10), and I have 30 money back guarantee. They assured me oem functionality. Asked me to send them picture of the Sync2 main screen, and radio. We'll see.

Like mentioned you want to know what OS the tablet is running. I'm sure it's some flavor of Android. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: I see it says Android 10 so that is pretty decent. Does it say if they offer software updates?

Like mentioned you want to know what OS the tablet is running. I'm sure it's some flavor of Android. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: I see it says Android 10 so that is pretty decent. Does it say if they offer software updates?
Mguy13sport:

They told me , they will provide firmware updates if any available.
The sent me an email telling me if I want to wait for a newer version 12 android or they will send me the Android 10. I opted to wait. Will keep you guys posted.

Hopefully the newer version of android will be better. I installed the 13.6 on my 2015 xlt. I had already updated to sync3 and the tesla style screen looked very appealing. Everything hooked up, using the sync3 apim, had to call to get the right setting for the climate control to work. It looks awesome, but that is all i can say good about it. Very slow to boot up (i have fastboot style), There is a several second delay on everything, because the head unit has to communicate with the apim on everything. When you are using carplay through sync3, it adds delay, because it has to communicate with your phone as well. The carplay that the unit came with was a nightmare and i deleted all apps that had to do with it. when you made phone calls using the unit, was deplorable. Bluetooth can only be used for phone calls and it also sucked because their mic was a cheap chinese mic. I just removed the whole thing, to sell the car for a 2017 platinum and will not be installing this on my new vehicle. Please get some real reviews from real world people, before investing your money. I spent 700.00 and now it sits in my garage.

Hopefully the newer version of android will be better. I installed the 13.6 on my 2015 xlt. I had already updated to sync3 and the tesla style screen looked very appealing. Everything hooked up, using the sync3 apim, had to call to get the right setting for the climate control to work. It looks awesome, but that is all i can say good about it. Very slow to boot up (i have fastboot style), There is a several second delay on everything, because the head unit has to communicate with the apim on everything. When you are using carplay through sync3, it adds delay, because it has to communicate with your phone as well. The carplay that the unit came with was a nightmare and i deleted all apps that had to do with it. when you made phone calls using the unit, was deplorable. Bluetooth can only be used for phone calls and it also sucked because their mic was a cheap chinese mic. I just removed the whole thing, to sell the car for a 2017 platinum and will not be installing this on my new vehicle. Please get some real reviews from real world people, before investing your money. I spent 700.00 and now it sits in my garage.
Nice to hear from you again Joe. It's been just over a year. Congrats on the 2017 Platinum, it looks good. My previous one was the same but in a gold colour and I was very happy with it.
Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Peter

Thank You Peter, I have been wanting a boosted explorer, ever since i got on this forum. I absolutely loved reading this forum and building my 2015 XLT to my liking. Cool thing, most of my mods, i have taken off to install on my 2017. I plan on visiting here more often. I cannot leave well enough alone, so begins my new project.

Everything I've read is that the Tesla screens are pretty bad out of the box, there's a russian fella that writes custom firmwares and sells for around 100 bucks (though with the war in Ukraine you may not be able to buy from him now) that makes them much more usable. I still think Sync 3 is the way to go in any 5th gen explorer.

I have looked in to these too, but they all seem to have a few issues like those mentioned above...

I bought the Russian firmware and it worked like jailbreaking. Still inherently sub par. It is a vertical android tablet, modified for auto use. Touchscreen has to be tapped over and over to get anything done. Apps, like hulu, netflix youtube were a crapshoot, to get them to work. Most apps hung, continually.

I got the one from Amazon works flawlessly wireless CarPlay etc. not sure about the slow response time. Everything is instant but dosent retain sync 2 (didn’t use it much)

I got the one from Amazon works flawlessly wireless CarPlay etc. not sure about the slow response time. Everything is instant but dosent retain sync 2 (didn’t use it much)
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Could you post a picture of it?

Peter

Sorry for the late reply!

Can you provide a link to the Amazon unit you purchased. I just bought a 2016 basic and want to start looking into modifications, like this. The screen looks great and you seem to have had a good experience with it. I just can't tell which one it is when I look on Amazon. A link would be awesome.

only issue can’t use parking assist other than that makes it feel like a brand new spaceship everyday I love it. When getting serviced I always get questions about it.

only issue can’t use parking assist other than that makes it feel like a brand new spaceship everyday I love it. When getting serviced I always get questions about it.
Do you have the link for where you got it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back