• Register Today It's free!

97 SOHC No start Problem

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Lent the X out wile I was away, When I got back I herd that it wouldn’t start, so I went over and had a look at it, was told they had a retired mechanic next door looked at it spent about 2 hrs on it and he couldn’t get it started, Came to the conclusion that it was a sensor or a relay type fault.

I had a look at it checked fuel pressure, Cam and crank sensors for any loose connection's seemed to be fine, tried to start and nothing it just cranked over, with 3/4 throttle is sounded like it wanted to fire but wouldn't.

Disconnected the MAF and pulled the intake tube off and gave it a shot of CRC into the T/B and if fired up instantly, ran a bit lumpy till the MAF was plugged back in.

It idled Fine and drove fine till it warmed up, then it would Hunt to the point of almost stalling and sometimes it would stall out, Turn it off and start it again it would start fine and idle nice for about 1 minute then start hunting again. Repeated the stop start thing 6 times in a row and it did the same each time.

I am thinking it’s the Idle Air Controller> what do you guys think??

Back