• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT V8 AWD Transmission Change

gators93

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
Hi Guys. I wanted to get some feedback on a transmission problem. I am the original owner of the 1997 Explorer XLT V8 AWD. It has 125k miles and has never given me any problems, now with the exception of the transmission.

Last year the transmission gave me some problems while on a trip, so I had my local mechanic put in a transmission he found at a yard for about $1k parts and labor. I knew at the time it was a bit of a gamble. Now a year later, that transmission blew and I need a new one again. I took it to a different mechanic who clearly agrees.

He is suggesting two options. Option A is to get another transmission from a yard for about $800 parts and $800 labor. No warranty, obviously. Option B that he suggests is a Jasper transmission that comes with a 3 year, 100k mile warranty. This will cost almost $3k parts and labor.

I only put about 3-5k miles a year on it, but I do want to be able to use it reliably. I don't drive it hard and rarely tow with it. I use the AWD 1-2 times per year when it snows. Does anybody have any input regarding those repair options, costs and/or that suggested replacement part?

Many thanks!

If you want to keep the truck for another couple years I would do the Jasper for 3 grand.
I am also a fan of junkyard engines and tranmissions but at this age there are not near as many good used parts as when Exploders were newer and the parts came from wrecks and rollovers instead of worn out and junk abandoned pieces now littering the yards.

3 grand is alot but so is 1600 for the used piece atleast with the 3 grand you get a warranty that is honored in a lot of places if you travel and some piece of mind of being able to go places and not worry.
What can you buy for 3 grand ? 3 grand for another 3 or 5 years with the Exploder is a fair price.
Seems like it your original trans died an early death, too bad.

Quick follow up ... I did the Jasper transmission. It has been in about a week now and seems to be doing well. After nearly 14 years with this Explorer, I am just not ready to part ways with it. Thanks for the input.

Back