• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0 pas side spark plugs

08krf350

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Please throw in comments Went to change my spark plugs today and got stuck on the pas side plug closest to the firewall on my explorer Its next to the heater blower box leaving very little room I tried the swivel and extension trick even the wrench to the back of the spark plug socket w/o any success ANy tips or trix from guys/girls i'm sure have been in this situation What about going through the wheel well Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's the way to do it, but it still takes a little manuvering. for a little extra room you could consider pulling the wheel off, but you don't need to.

I've found the passenger side is the easiest to do on the OHV in the 2nd gens. the driver side is a bit tougher but neither side is all that hard. I take the air filter/intake tube out of the way and then snake my arm in there, or go through the wheel well.

You might need to use a 3/4" socket on the back of the spark plug socket to give you the right amount of clearance for room.

thanks to everyone for the help i jacked the truck up pulled the wheel well flap back and was able to get to the plug Thanks a million

Back