• Register Today It's free!

passenger side spark plug issues

ryanmagahis

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
ok so I want to change my spark plugs, but the passenger side spark plugs seem like its gonna be pretty hard to get to. Expecially that one in the very back. Some type of box is in the way. Anyone know what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey just did mine today.take the wheel off and its easier than the driverside. good luck!

I have the same issue. The driver side was annoying but fairly easy with the long extension. Now I go to do the passenger side and the 6&5 plugs are impossible to get to or even get the cable off. You can't get a tool in there. I'm going to try trough the wheels tonight.

Yeah it sucks. I had my hopes up when black beauty said take off the wheel, but I've realized you a sport and I have a feeling it could be different? Thanks anyway though
Yeah my Dad and I ended up stripping the one closest to the headlight on the drivers side. And then in the process we broke 2 spark plugs for the 2 next to it from trying to screw it back in with a wrench. But those were the ones that came stock and we've had those for 8-9 years so go figure haha.
After 3 days it was finally running again. The stripped hole has more of a different angle than the rest but it sees to work fine.
Over the summer were going to try to find out how to change the 2 hard to get passenger spark plugs.
Did you or anyone else out there get any luck yet?

Jack the vehicle up, remove pass tire. There is a small splash shield (not the inner fender,just the rubber half circle piece with plastic "interior style rivet" holding in place. Once you remove this the plug, spark plug removal will be so easy you will be amazed. The plug swap only takes around an hour including the jack up,removal,replacement of perspective parts! I change my plugs about every six month because of the turbo and I use copper plugs(the best for performance)-J

for mine, i ended up flipping back the smaller liner attached to the inner fender and sticking one hand in there, one hand from underneath, and using a small ratchet with a small extension and "u-joint" piece.

Back