98 Door Locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Door Locks

swtbr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
Have a 98 with power locks and remote. Remote works fine and all door locks work normal from right door but left switch will not unlock doors. It will lock but not unlock. Any ideas? Switch appears okay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

broken wires in the driver door

Thanks I will check that first. Makes sense

The same thing happened to me. Electric locks would not open.I had to pull on the inside door handle 4-5 times before it would open. I even had to climb through the back hatch several times to get in. I soaked the latch mechanisms with a high quality penetrating fluid. I opened and closed the locks and worked the handle many times. The problem totaly went away. This was about three years ago. I now lube on a regular basis. I have a 99 Sport.My buddy has a 98 four door. It had same issue. Same result after lube. Not sure if this is your issue. I guess I was just lucky ,being a simple fix.

Swtbr: I have exactly the same problem, but have just been reaching across truck to use pass side unlock switch. Pls post back here if you find the problem and what you did to fix it. Would especially like to know color/location of broken wire if indeed that is what it is. TIA

If it's a broken wire the most likely location is within the rubber boot that spans the hinge area from the door to the front quarter. Seems they didn't use high-flex wire there like they ought to have since it flexes every time the door is open and shut.

Back