98 EB Tranny, R. End problems.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 EB Tranny, R. End problems....

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 sohc xls 4 dr.
This is for a friend. Her explorer has been acting weird as of late and the shop said that it needs a new tranny and R.end. It is a 98 4.0, EB., 140,000 , and shifts no longer in reverse and hardly drives. They got a quote of over 5,000 to fixit. I'm wondering if theres anyone on here with a good idea of where to get a good deal on the tranny and R. End? Preferably in Washington state. They're in Seattle. Maybe a place that does rebuilts? I don't know. That's just too much money. They just bought it for 5 grand thinking they got a deal. Perhaps not.
Thanks..

Very strange that a trans and rear end are bad what are the problems that are happening

Well, you are right thats too much MORE money to poor into the car. Blue Book value (4.0 EB 4x4 ALOT of extra's in Fair condition(Being Generous)) is worth $3755-trade in...

Now from the problems you said, thats all typical trany problems... Tell her to take it to another place and have them look at it to. If she went to the shop alone, they might be stiffing her on the rear end since shes a female.

Hmmmmm...

I'll get the specifics today. Said something like the previous owner maybe had drove it on 4wd low or high for a long period or at too high a speed?

Back