98 Explorer A/C issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer A/C issue

floridadelivery

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer SOHC 4.0
This old 98 has over 140K miles on it. Already put a new engine belt and brakes pads on it. Motor is a SOHC 4.0, auto trans.

Recently the AC has been creating problems.

First the fan motor went out - had to get all sorts of parts out of the way in the engine bay to change that little thing out.

Next to go was the fan motor speed control. I began losing low, and then medium speeds - each time with a burst plastic wiring smell inside the truck when it happened. All I have left is HIGH or nothing.

Now - after charging the system, topping it off with freon (those $20 kits with a guage) I had a AC system which blew ice cold - for awhile.

Now - the AC system is losing the cold air, and blowing warm air - and even fills the inside of the truck with a wet rug smell - coming from someplace.

Here is the kicker: I usually can get the AC system to blow back into cold air - by stomping on the gas pedal to work the vacuum and something to do with the full throttle AC bypass - which works for a little bit.

Then the AC begins to blow warm again. It HAS the capability to blow cold air - but there is something in the AC control (vacuum hose leak or a kickdown solenoid, or something) which is making the problem.

If I can locate this system, and physically disconnect the full throttle kickdown bypass - or plug up the vacuum hoses which seem to be connected with this problem - it might let the AC work full time.

I prefer an AC here in Florida 100% of the time - instead of worrying about full throttle kick down power.

I know the cold AC is there - it comes and goes. Hope its NOT related to a clogged up AC drier like my Camry had. Same hot-cold-hot problem which was usually solved by shutting the AC off for a few minutes to let the ice melt - and the cold AC came back - for awhile.

This Explorer seems to have the cold-hot-cold problem connected with the full throttle and vacuum control system of the AC system.

I do have the mechanic ability - but somewhat lacking on the tools. Many years ago I was doing Corvette frame off rebuilds - 72 Road Runner, Chevy Nova, repairs. 440 and 340 and 350 motors - and had a large amount of tools. I'm nearly 60 now - survived malignant cancer - all of which really slowed me down - a lot. Almost lost 2 fingers on my right hand to a dirty oil filter on a 350 Chevy motor from a van. Made the decision to back off on most of the mechanics after that.

Any ideas as to which wires or vacuum hoses to cut or disconnect to make this AC system work full time please forward to my email:

floridadelivery@yahoo.com

search on blender door ... lots of posts. The door controls how much hot or cold air will be mixed. It is a vacuum motor... but it usually ISN"T a vacuum issue, its a broken "gear".

Back