98 explorer rear output shaft speed sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer rear output shaft speed sensor

jetfixer

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the rear output shaft speed sensor? This lives on the rear of the transfer case next to the driveshaft flange, & has 3 wires that go to the shift motor disconnect. Over the phone, the local Ford Parts guy says it's a F7RZ7H103BA, but when I search for this online, most replacement parts look like a vehicle speed sensor with a 2 wire plug on them. It's a long ride to the dealer & he wants to be paid to order it. Then another long ride to pick it up when it comes in. I don't want the wrong part...

98 explorer automatic 4wd 6 cyl sohc vin e

It sounds like that's exactly what he's quoting you on.... For a 98, the speed sensor IS the rear axle speed sensor on the rear axle. They eliminated the VSS on the trans/t-case for the 98 model year.

If that's the sensor you need, then have them look up the part for a 97. I've known several of the parts guys that are know-it-alls. Just because the computer lists it as being the VSS for yout truck doesn't mean that's the part you need.

Also, I have to wonder if the trans in yours is the original? If it has the VSS on the trans, and it's truly a '98, it would be the first I've head of one being there.

It sounds like that's exactly what he's quoting you on.... For a 98, the speed sensor IS the rear axle speed sensor on the rear axle. They eliminated the VSS on the trans/t-case for the 98 model year.

If that's the sensor you need, then have them look up the part for a 97. I've known several of the parts guys that are know-it-alls. Just because the computer lists it as being the VSS for yout truck doesn't mean that's the part you need.

Also, I have to wonder if the trans in yours is the original? If it has the VSS on the trans, and it's truly a '98, it would be the first I've head of one being there.

As far as I can tell this is the original t-case. Plus, I'm using the Ford Truck Service Information Manual (on CD). Here are some screen shots from the manual showing what I'm talking about. This is exactly the setup that I have.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jetfixer01/Ford#

Back