98 Explorer rear shock install question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer rear shock install question

BubbaFL

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Corvette
It's finally time to replace the factory shocks on my '98 Explorer XLT, 4-door 2wd.

The rear shocks came off easily - took the spare tire off, removed a couple bolts, and they came right off.

The new ones are Monroe gas-matics (cheapest they had at Advanced Auto Parts). Both of the replacements came with new upper bolts and nuts. The old shocks had some kind of threaded studs pressed in to the upper part of the shock.

I'm having a problem installing the new Monroe shocks - the nuts that came with the upper mounting bolts will only go on about a quarter of an inch by hand, then they get really hard to turn. Am I supposed to just get a couple of big wrenches and torque these suckers down, or did I get the wrong bolts? I'm afraid to just tighten them down and create a major stuck bolt problem the next time I go to change the shocks.

Thanks in advance!

Bubba

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick answer to a "stupid" question. Got the new shocks in - what a difference! The truck still had the original factory shocks from '98.

Another question on getting the rears off. On the drivers side rear the bolt closest to the tire, theres a metal plate preventing me from accessing the nut. Are there any "interior" access points to make it easier to get to these rear top bolts?

Back