• Register Today It's free!

98 ford explorer PCM questions

Pandemonium

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0 SOCH
I have a 98 ford explorer 4.0 sohc 2wd and I have 2 PCM's one I took from another truck the exact same year make and model and the one in the current truck. however there are 2 different model identifiers on each. Above the bar code on the PCM in the current truck I am driving it say BAE1 on the PCM I removed from the other truck it says BAE2. can anyone tell me if installing the BAE2 is going to affect the PATS? or what the difference in the 2 PCM's are?

thank you

pats system will keep it from starting no matter what without original pcm or dealer programming 2 keys to that pcm. It should work with that pcm, although it uses slightly fifferent calibration.

ty

I will let my husband know thanks. One more question if you don't mind?

Could the PCM be throwing off the voltage to the transmission solenoids? I ask because all my codes are saying all my solenoids are bad in the tranny including the TCC and EPC however I do not have a shift problem. This is also the second set of solenoids we have put in. We tested the voltage on the transmission harness with a power probe and the readings where consistent and correct but I really think I am having a voltage problem. My other theory is the back 2 O2 sensors are causing all my issues. She starts rough when she is cold and stalls or tries to stall. When she warms up she smooths right out and it's as if her horrid start was imagined.

If you could help me further it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Back