'98 leaf spring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 leaf spring question

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I have a 98 sport. the monoleafs have sagged so low they make me look like im riding low. anyway do first gen leaf packs work with the second gens? also from what i've searched i understand that the spring code f is the stiffest and the one to go with. how do you tell what spring code the leaf packs are? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if 1st gen leaf springs will work with your sport. But 4-door second generations will. If you get some used ones out of a boneyard be careful as you might inherit the drivers side lean. Might just switch them around. Does that make sense?

yes i understand the lean. the reason i asked about the 1st gens is because every junkyard i seem to go to has tons of 1st gens and no 2nd gens. and then i just want to make sure i buy the correct spring code but im not sure how to verify the code or which code corresponds with truck. I went to a parts store today and they said the spring code goes from f to h. My best guess would be f would be 4 dr 4wd. g is 4dr 2wd and h is the monoleaf
thanks

From my little experience in this forum and with Explorers I have not read of any gen1 to gen 2 swaps. Are you looking to gain actual lift or just level out? My 98 XLT 4 door has the drivers side lean and the rears are sagging atleast 1.5" compared to the front. I'm planning on just buying lift springs either from Summit or from a guy that makes custom springs in Ft. Collins. I figure if I can get 3" lift in the back and do the TT up front it will be pretty close to level if not raked a little bit.

The letter code tells the stiffness of the spring i believe. You can find the code on the door sticker under the spring category, do a search on door sticker or door code. You would be better off finding a second gens leaf pack or you could start sagging again soon, but i think a 1st gen leaf pack will work, maybe someone else will chime in. I found a set at a jy with an f code and just over 100k miles for 42 bucks for both, i had to take them off though. Also depending on thwe severity of the sag, shackles may be an option for you
Good luck

Back