98 Ranger 4.0l a/c compressor kicks on with heat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Ranger 4.0l a/c compressor kicks on with heat?

speedfreak87

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger XLT
When I bought the truck last summer, the ac compressor was toast, it didn't bother me much as I don't use the a/c all that much, it was unplugged. this summer I put a new compressor on, filled, and worked awesome, I had the typical defrost/vent under accel happening, which I have yet to fix, but it's not much of a concern to me at this point. Being that I'm still in summer mode, and it dropped to 40* this week, I turned on the heat (defrost/foot setting) and noticed my ac compressor kicking on. is this a common thing? or is there something f-d with my hvac system? It might only be my truck, but when the a/c compressor is kicking on, it DRAINS power from the little 4.0 so I really don't want it to cycle. just unplug it? or do I have bigger issues? I searched the forums, with no luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AC compressor is supposed to turn on in most positions. AC is fantastic at removing moisture/humidity from the air and it helps the defroster work much more efficiently. If you don't want it to turn on, unplug it.

The AC compressor is supposed to turn on in most positions. AC is fantastic at removing moisture/humidity from the air and it helps the defroster work much more efficiently. If you don't want it to turn on, unplug it.

I figured I would.

I also should have mentioned the compressor kicks on/off A LOT.. like every 15/20 seconds or so. is there another issue I should be looking for?

I noticed tonight that the compressor is kicking on no matter what heat setting it's on.. normal? or major issue?

Back