• Register Today It's free!

98 Sport 5.4 2V Swap

TheYeti

Reaction score
City, State
Weirton, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Going to be putting a 5.4 2v backed by a 4r70w and 4406 manual t case into my 98 sport.

I know the simple solution is to just put the 5.0 in it. But i already have the 5.4 sitting in the garage and picking up a trans and transfer case tomorrow.

Ive been doing alot of researching and reading schematics to see if i can make an odd combination run..

Explorer: Has 5.0 engine uses 4r70w transmission
F150: Has 5.4 engine uses 4r70w transmission (some had 4r100s)

Im looking to use the 5.0 pcm and cross breed the wiring harnesses to run my 5.4 and 4r70w. Being that they are similar in displacement (although 5.4 has better volumetric efficiency) and same firing order, it should run it. But what if something is drastically different with the timing of the tone rings for the crank sensor or cam sensor? Has anyone ever tried this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it has been tried and didn't work, the 5.4 and 4.6 use the same computer but different fuel trims. The 5.0 and 4.6/5.4 use different signals from the sensors, different timing and fuel trim. The engine will fire but will not run, but if you can get it to work you'll be the first. Other big problem is the 4.6/5.4 is much much wider and taller than the 5.0 and will take extreme amounts of modding to fit. May have to go without an ac or heater or break booster modify suspension ect.

I want to try and keep the a/c and heat. I may have to notch the box. Im going to run a hydroboost setup from a mustang to help with clearances on that side

As with any unique swap like this there is a lot more involved than you will initially plan for. With enough monly and time anything is possible. I will almost never tell anyone that something can't be done. Having said that, the hvac functions will be your biggest obstacle. The height and width of the engine will place the passenger head squarely in the middle of your hvac case. This could be solved by cutting and welding the firewall or possibly using aftermarket hvac controls under the dash (the brand vintage air comes to mind)

Next would be any body modifications that would have to be done to make the 5.4 (depending on what kind you are going with, 2v, 3v, or 4v) fit in the engine bay.

Wiring is actually the easiest part in all this ( too me anyway)

If you can make this work you would probably would be on of the first to do so

Im considering a 2 or 3 inch body lift if needed to help with fitment

Your fitment issues will be the exhaust manifolds needing to be where the upper control arm mounts are. I have a 5.4 dohc I have been planning on putting in a second Gen and going to solid axle at the same time. I have done a bit of research and any way you do it you have to deal with pats one way or another. If you still have IFS it's going to be a bear to make it fit.

Ive got the 4r70w and 4406 manual transfer case. The transmission is getting rebuilt and a shift kit before installation.

Just got a steal on a hydroboost brake setup from a mustang gt.

Going to be picking up a 96 5.0 pcm, gem, and engine/transmission wiring harness

If your doing a 3" body lift then it should clear the factory booster and a/c box if you somehow get it to mount at the factory height. It has the same front of crank pulley depth to trans mounts as a 4.0 sohc but the accessories are to the sides of the engine. The biggest issue is the width from top outer edge of the head to the other side, its like 10" wider.

The hydroboost will definitely fix the fitting issue on the left side. Im hoping i can just do a basic cut/fiber glass the heater box. It would be nice to keep a/c but its not required.

Heres a few pictures of my sport. Wanted to try out the image attachment function.

Its a 98 sport, TT, Shackles, 32/11.50/15, and a BFH

20151017_175719.jpg
20151017_170037.jpg

Back