• Register Today It's free!

98' XLT 4.0L SOHC Speedo Problem.

nathansee3

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Have a 98' XLT 4.0L SOHC with 185,x.. miles runs great really no major issues with it since 60k miles. Problem is Speedo quit working, odometer quit working and the ABS light came on. Triping: Vehicle Speed Sensor A Malfuntion. Which Speed sensor is that. Tried the rear differential speed sensor wasnt that one and today couldnt locate the transmission VSS. Was told that it was on passenger side near the center of the trans. Also how can I tell if I have a 4 speed or 5 Speed Automatic. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Heres a link to the trans speed sensor that I got, cant find anything that looks remotely similar to it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...splayName=Vehicle+Speed+Sensor&searchText=VSS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey thanks alot for replying so promptly. First post didnt think it would let me post in other sections. Any idea as to where the VSS is located on that transmission? Thanks again.

Can Anyone help me out here. . . ? Thanks.

The VSS on a 98 is not as simple as a single sensor... The ABS control module takes the three ABS sensor inputs (the two front wheel speed sensors on the hubs and the single rear axle speed sensor on the rear diff (which is probably the one they sold you)), processes the signal, then outputs the VSS signal to the PCM, GEM, stereo, cruise control servo, instrument cluster among others. If just the cluster dies, but the cruise control continues to work, the problem is a disconnect between the VSS signal wire and the IP. If it all stops working, then the problem is either a bad ABS CM, or bad signals going into it. Without a thorough diagnostic scan that can monitor the ABS sensor inputs into the CM, it's a guessing game at best.

Duzzat help?

That does help, so what type of scanner can scan it. . . I have a buddy that owns a Snap On scanner that was like 1000 bucks, would that be able to? Basically it probably has some to do with the ABS. . .

Back