99 4wd with 5spd jittering under accelaration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4wd with 5spd jittering under accelaration

misho

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi guys, Long time user here

Recently my explorer has been acting up and it is getting worse.

Its a 1999, 5spd manual 4wd.

Recently, my explorer has been jittering under acceleration. The worst is in 2nd and 3rd gear.
This is happening under slight accelaration and hard accelaration as well.

The clutch is not slipping because the engagement is the same, and when I put it in 4x4 HIGH and floor it, (from any gear), the clutch grips well. (i have another car and I know how it feels to have a slipping clutch.

My car has 3 diff modes: 4x4 AUTO, 4x4 HIGH and 4x4 LOW. I do not have the option to do 2wd mode only.

It honestly feels like there is something wrong with the front diff. Feels like the front wheels start to engage and disengage (hence that jittering).

Again, the jittering is pretty much gone when I put it in 4x4 HIGH. Flooring it or not.

Has anyone experienced this, and give me some advice? I've heard about the brown wire mod(under the seat), where it removes the whole sensor used to see if your rear wheels are slipping.

THANK YOU!!!:exp:

Hey guys, just to update the thread, I did the brown wire mod and the problem went away. I guess I was correct - the computer kept thinking that the rear wheels were slipping and engaged & disengaged the front.

cheers:exp:

Back