99 Explorer Stalls when Driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Stalls when Driving

Becca_78

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a 99 explorer that has starting acting weird lately. This is what happened today:

It started up fine when cold, although the idle fluctuated between about 300 and 1200 rpm (600 rpm average). I let it idle until it was up to temperature. When I shifted into reverse to back out of a parking space, it was idling rough and acting like it was going to knock off. I gave it some gas and it seems to be fine. When I shifted into drive, it did the same thing, but I again gave it some gas. It seemed fine going down the road at 45 mph.

At my first stop, as I slowed down to turn in, I noticed it was running rough and when I pulled into the parking lot it stalled. It restarted immediately. I stopped again a few minutes later and it stalled again. This time it wouldn't restart. It was making a clicked sound almost like a dead battery but the battery is brand new. I waited about 15 minutes and was able to get it restarted.

I had driven about 1/4 mile and it stalled in the middle of the road. I was able to pull off, but could never get it to restart.

It has stalled before and had the no start/rough idle issues off and on for about a month. It seems random. I did take it to the Ford dealership once and they thought it might be the computer, but they found some corroded wires and replaced those. It ran for a few days after that before the problems started again.

The only thing I've done so far is check the battery and alternator, cleaned the MAF, ad cleaned the IAC. I believe the IAC is working correctly because when it is disconnected, the engine stalls.

Does this sound like it might be a computer issue?

I have a 99 explorer that has starting acting weird lately. This is what happened today:

It started up fine when cold, although the idle fluctuated between about 300 and 1200 rpm (600 rpm average). I let it idle until it was up to temperature. When I shifted into reverse to back out of a parking space, it was idling rough and acting like it was going to knock off. I gave it some gas and it seems to be fine. When I shifted into drive, it did the same thing, but I again gave it some gas. It seemed fine going down the road at 45 mph.

At my first stop, as I slowed down to turn in, I noticed it was running rough and when I pulled into the parking lot it stalled. It restarted immediately. I stopped again a few minutes later and it stalled again. This time it wouldn't restart. It was making a clicked sound almost like a dead battery but the battery is brand new. I waited about 15 minutes and was able to get it restarted.

I had driven about 1/4 mile and it stalled in the middle of the road. I was able to pull off, but could never get it to restart.

It has stalled before and had the no start/rough idle issues off and on for about a month. It seems random. I did take it to the Ford dealership once and they thought it might be the computer, but they found some corroded wires and replaced those. It ran for a few days after that before the problems started again.

The only thing I've done so far is check the battery and alternator, cleaned the MAF, ad cleaned the IAC. I believe the IAC is working correctly because when it is disconnected, the engine stalls.

Does this sound like it might be a computer issue?
Hey man you ever figure this out?

Back