99 Power Seat Wiring ID - 4 wire plug to seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Power Seat Wiring ID - 4 wire plug to seat

dbcreed

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 4wd 4.0
Callsign
K4DBC
Would greatly appreciate someone identifying the 4 wires that run to the seat plug: (1) Black; (2) Black/White Stripe; (3) Grey/Yellow Stripe; (4) Lt. Blue/White Stripe.

99 Explorer XLT with power driver and passenger - without memory, without heated seats.

The first two (1&2) are of smaller gauge (heavier wire) so I'm assuming they're power, not sure about the last two (3&4). I know the other wires are for seat belt & air bag.

Just FYI . . . the use & reason for asking - I found two seats from a junk yard vehicle that are identical to the ones in my Explorer, in really good shape (grey leather), and gave $150 for the pair. Since I don't need them yet, I'm going to make two man-cave chairs, hooked up to regulated 12V power supply so the switches work (but of course). Wish they had memory, heat and massage . . . then we'd really be talkin . . .

SeatConn.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it have memory or heated seats? I don't know but there's some potential info here:

J_C, thanks for the reference. I updated my post to reflect (a) not memory and (b) not heated.
Does it have memory or heated seats? I don't know but there's some potential info here:

^ I saw that in my diagrams too, but it doesn't match his wire colors.

Attachments

• seats-power-lumbar-seat-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 75

Using a 99 Ford Ex wiring manual:

Black - ground wire
Black/ white stripe (BK/WH) - 12 volt feed. Left and right power seats and power lumbar.

Grey/Yellow stripe (GY/YE) - 12 volt (run) to both heated seats.
Light/Blue (LB/WH) - constant 12 volt to both heated seats.

These are the only matching wire colors in the seat wiring diagrams.

See picture below.

seats.jpg

Using a 99 Ford Ex wiring manual:

Black - ground wire
Black/ white stripe (BK/WH) - 12 volt feed. Left and right power seats and power lumbar.

Grey/Yellow stripe (GY/YE) - 12 volt (run) to both heated seats.
Light/Blue (LB/WH) - constant 12 volt to both heated seats.

These are the only matching wire colors in the seat wiring diagrams.

See picture below.

View attachment 425936
Thank you! Problem solved! Just as you said above regarding the two wires that power the 3 motors on each seat.

The harness & plug evidently come wired for the heated seats (the GY/YE and LB/WH) even though my seats aren't heated.

I sure appreciate the help. These will be some "happening" man cave power seats. Planning on a 20A power supply. Will need to consider a few different approaches to the cold can holder, possibly adapting the seat belt gooseneck to mount a gimbled holder . . .

Back