99 Ranger acts like dead battery with clicking in dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ranger acts like dead battery with clicking in dash

twostar

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ranger 3.0L V6
99 Ranger 3.0L V6

I tried starting the truck after running in to the grocery store for some food. I get a clicking sound like it's a dead battery. Engine won't turn over, etc. Call the GF for a jump and while I waiting I tried starting it again a couple of times. One time I notice smoke come out of my steering column cover, out of the hazards button hole. Not good. She gets there and I can't jump it. Just get this clicking noise when I put the key in the ignition.

I tow it to the dealer but it's after hours so I just leave it out front and do the overnight key drop. Do some research online and suspect that the multifunction switch might have gone out and be shorting the system. (odd since the fuse should blow) After calling the dealer and talking with them on rates I tell them to not do any work and I'll work on it myself. They also claim the battery is shot and that my serpentine belt is also bad.

I tow the truck back to my place to take a look figuring it'd be an easy fix with a short in the steering column somewhere. I also go get the battery checked at les schwab (where I bought it) and they tell me it's fine and do a recharge on it. Also check the belt and it's in fine shape. Two strikes against the dealer.

Now i get the clicking noise whenever I hook up the battery. I've done some looking around and it appears to be coming from the A/C area in the dash. I can't actually hear the noise if the doors are closed then I hook up the battery so i'm fairly sure it's not in the engine compartment.

I've also pulled the multifunction switch and the starter switch to check for shorts, any easy tests or walkthroughs I should use to check these? The battery is still drawing power and the dash clicking when I hook the battery up and all these parts are removed. Any ideas of how I can isolate this now?

Update: I started going through all the fuses and when I pull either fuse 25 or 26 the clicking stops. Only if BOTH are installed does the clicking continue.

25: Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Instrument Cluster
26: Bettery Saver Relay, Electronic Shift Relay, Interior Lamp Relay, Power Window Relay, Electronic Shift Control Module, Dome/Map Lamp, GEM

I'm reading through my electrical diagrams in my Haynes repair manual now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The checks are pretty standard.... you can from your battery and go towards your starter or the otherway around. Basically, power goes from the battery to the starter relay (near battery) then to the starter on one run and the other goes directly to the starter (that your main power. Both have to exist for your starter to work.

...The battery saver is what turns your lights off after about 40 minutes..

...It is controlled by the GEM and it does click...If you get into your vehicle and shut the door, turn the key on, when your interior light goes off is when you will here the battery saver click...I hope this helps...:dunno:

...You might have a bad relay...

gut reaction is either a ground (which should blow a fuse) or a relay. Any idea where these relays are? Not in the Power Dist. Box as i've pulled all those already. I am recharging the battery right now. I do get that annoying "key in ignition w/door open" bell sound even with the key out now too.

If there's a electronic diagram of the GEM or the systems behind fuses 25 and 26 that'd help too since I should be able to figure out there what pulling 25 or 26 does to stop the problem.

...Rwenzig is a member here and he would be the one I would ask about wiring diagrams for Rangers...;)

further, you wouldn't happen to have an anti-theft system????

I don't have an anti-theft system. However, I have a little red light that was attached at the bottom of the dash that I always wondered what it was. While digging around for the problem i found that the light wasn't hooked up and was coiled around some connectors left free under the steering column. Now that I think about it there were definitely some aftermarket wiring job in there too.

Would a failed anti-theft system cause similar problems as this? I can take another look and see if there was a short in the splices somewhere here.

Also when I hook up the battery I notice the positive connector cable gets hot to the touch, indicating serious power draw. The local shucks also suggested checking the starter solenoid.

definately was a anti-theft system installed but the wiring looks clean and I don't see how it could be shorting any of the wires.

I put the freshly charged battery in and I get the electrical system to come up like normal now. Only when I try starting the engine does it seem to seize on turning the engine over. Then i get all sorts of weird stuff until I turn it all the way off again.

Where is the starter solenoid located in a 99 Ranger? I can't seem to find it.

found the starter and all that.

Now it's acting like it had been before, once battery is hooked up I get clicking in the dash on the pass side. I tracked down the clicking relay and pulled it from the dash, it's got the markings FOAB-14B193-AB. Not sure this is the problem though, I think it's more of a symptom (ie low voltage on the line). Battery shows 11.4 volts, it's back on the charger now.

Could it be as simple as a failed starter solenoid that's shorting the battery? Shouldn't a fuse blow?

I charged the battery and while looking around at the cables noticed a bit of corrosion at the connection between the cables and the clamps. Pulled those apart and hit them with some battery cleaner and a wire brush. Put the battery back in and the truck started right up. Still have that relay out but the only thing that's not working is the cab light. I'm going to put that relay back in this weekend to see if it is bad or if it was the battery cables causing the problem in the first place.

I also replaced the multifunction switch while I had everything apart since I've been getting the phantom wipers and a buzzing sound when using the turn signals.

Twostar, I am having the exact same problem with my 98 Ford Ranger. Did you find the cause? I took it to a mechanic and they are telling me to replace the alternator. I'm afraid that is not the issue and the problem will come back. Thanks, Steve

The solution for me was cleaning the battery terminals and connections along the cable harness. I had the same problem reoccur later and just by cleaning the terminals and clamps it worked again.

So I think the root cause is just general corrosion in the cables from the battery to the starter. I haven't had time to swap out the harness but cleaning the connections seems to be enough to get me by for now.

Having the same issue with my ranger. Just by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes made it work for awhile, but the problem came back to the point where that won't work anymore. I never had any corrosion on the terminals. I even replaced the GEM. Still having the same problem.

Back