'99 Right Trailer brake/signal light problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Right Trailer brake/signal light problem

I am fairly certain that this has been addressed here before but a search brought up so many links that I can't find the answer within the mountain of information on this forum.... so here goes with a new thread.

My trailer lights use the same bulb for brake and turn signals, while my Explorer has the yellow turn signal light separate from the red brake light. My right trailer brake/signal light does not work. The less-bright running/night light setting does. The brake/signal light is controlled by the green wire coming out of the Explorer's trailer wiring harness. I have checked the two foot section of wire that plugs from the wiring plug that is up in the drivers side rear cubby hole and mounts to the back of the bumper and it is good, so there is no short in that easy-to-replace item. The problem is somewhere within the Explorer's wiring that sends the signal to the green wire in the trailer wiring harness.

I did a partial fix by splicing into the right rear turn signal wire and running a parallel wire all the way across to the green wire on the drivers side trailer wiring harness so I have a right turn signal now... but since the turn signal light and brake light are separate on the Explorer I still do not have a right brake light. I can't fix that by splicing into the brake light because that would link the turn signal and the brake light together through the trailer wiring, operating both the right signal and brake light on the Explorer any time I used either one.

I think my solution is to know how/where to tap into the green wire circuit upline somewhere and splice in there (?)... or find an alternate way to get the right brake and turn signals to work correctly both on the Explorer and the trailer.

Does anyone know the solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somewhere on the vehicle a "converter" that combines the brake/turn function to one bulb. Where that is located, I have no idea. I know Hopkins manufacturing makes a converter for vehicles not equipped with trailer wiring. They are fairly inexpensive and a lot less trouble than tracking down a problem assuming your tail lights are working fine. Hope this helps.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.c...aillight-converters/taillight-converters.html

Evan that looks exactly like the simple solution I need and saves me untold frustration trying to track down the place to splice in... I just ordered one. Thanks and appreciation!

WOW nobody said anything about checking fuses. The explorer has a fuse for left turn/brake and another fuse for right turn/brake. Did you check your fuses first?

The right turn and brake signals work fine on the Explorer.

Which wire is brakelight and which is running light?

Okay I received the converter kit and have one more question. I need to tie the converter in by splicing into the Explorer's running/brake light wires. The light has three wires going to it - black, brown, and green. I need to know which wire is for the running light and which wire is for the brake light. Can anyone help?

Do you have a test light you can probe the wires with? I know you cant probe the wire and push the brake at the same time, but you can eliminate the running light from the equation and I'll bet the black wire is the ground.

Evan I'm with ya thinking the black is ground. I don't have a 12v test light but I do have a multimeter. However the three wires go all the way into the rubber lightsocket housing so there's no exposed uninsulated wire to tap into. I'll have to cut into a wire to test it. I was hoping someone here knew which was which so I wouldn't have to do that.

I was able to separate the rubber housing and tap into the wires. Green is brake light, brown is running/park light. Now that I found the answer I thought I'd post it here for search history in case someone needs to know in the future.

What did you end up doing? Did you use the converter, or find the right point to tap into the wire?
I've been following this thread because I have a similar problem with my '02 Sport Trac, but on the left side. The lights all work on the truck, but the wire for the left turn and brake light at the truck's plug for the trailer has no power. This is all factory wiring. The Sport Trac uses 1 multi-filament bulb for tail, turn and brake. I found the wire that had power when the turn signal or brake was activated. I spliced into that wire right at the light and ran a wire from there down to just before the trailer plug, leaving the original wire in place, and immediately blew the fuse to the flasher when I hooked to the trailer and tested the turn signal. I posted on the Sport Trac forum, but didn't get this issue resolved.

I bought the Hopkins converter that MountaineerGreen provided the info link to, and it solved my issue. I'm not sure yours is the same; sorry if this thread does not help :dunno:

I ran into this very situation recently. I rewired my buddies boat trailer. His trailer has the same light for turn/brake, and his Chrysler mini van has separate turn and brake lights.

I had him get a converter from UHAUL for about $30 bucks and everything is good to go. :thumbsup:

Back