• Register Today It's free!

99 Tranny Help Please

mwhyder

Reaction score
City, State
Walhalla, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' Explorer
I have a 99 xlt explorer and recently the transmission went out in it. The o/d light had started blinking but no changes in the way the truck drove. I had just left a stop sign making a right turn and 40 yards or so a "belt squealing" type of noise for a split second and then it stopped pulling, motor just reved. Well I got a trans out of a 98 and when I pulled the tranny out of mine the torque convertor had metal rolling in the bottom of it "thinks that was the problem". Well swapped trans and the 98 transmission harness had one plug that wouldn't plug into the truck so I just used the 99 one. (Maybe a mistake) Drove fine for a few days and the o/d light started blinking again and would start shifting hard while it was blinking, still going through all the gears. Some days wouldn't not blink and others it would, could turn the truck off and would be fine. Well tonight same thing. Driving down the road and truck stopped pulling and just started reving.......Now back on the trailer and to the house again. Any ideas or anyone had the same problems........is the motor just eating the tc's or could it be a computer issue. Any help would be great.

I have and obd2 code reader but from what I have read it won't pull the codes for the trans. It was not flashing a pattern but it was a constant on and off flash.

Back