• Register Today It's free!

A/C Help

wn556

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Summer is hot this year in Indiana, and I've noticed that my AC isn't working like it used to. 02 explorer. I've checked my refrigerant, and it is full. This is just from the can and gauge that I got at advanced. What should I look at next? Compressor? Condenser? Any help would be great, I hate to sweat. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you should do first is to make sure that your compressor is actually kicking on. Turn the truck on and let it warm up a little. Then turn on the A/C. Flip the dial to Max AC and turn on the fan full tilt. Open the hood and look at the compressor on the driver side of the engine. The center of the compressor should be spinning. If not, it could be the compressor clutch.

I'm pretty sure it is running, I get some cool air but not like it should be. I will double check tomorrow.

Check the blend door/recirculation door for proper operation.

Another possibility could be plugged evaporator core or condensor. over time dust and debirs can clog these and reduce thier efficiency. The condensor can be cleaner relatively easily, the evaporator core, not so much. FYI, my 02's ac is getting weaker, I have noticed that I need to have it on MAX AC more to get the truck to cool enough. I have not done anything to it yet to try to correct it.

FYI, my 02's ac is getting weaker, I have noticed that I need to have it on MAX AC more to get the truck to cool enough. I have not done anything to it yet to try to correct it.

It could be low on refrigerant, or the compressor getting tired...beyond the lower efficiency issues you already mentioned.

It could be low on refrigerant, or the compressor getting tired...beyond the lower efficiency issues you already mentioned.

True, it has been low on the list of priorities as this is my DD. I am planing on buying a manifold gauge set to check it out. I think my front hubs are going out again. grr.... so that'll get done first.

Back