• Register Today It's free!

A/c help!!!!

02LTDXLT

Reaction score
City, State
the "Bridge",Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited XLT
A/C was working fine. now when I step on the gas there is a slapping noise? Plus it's not blowing cold anymore. System was just charged and blowing cold but was not blowing cold yesterday.. Just moved to Phoenix....Help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slapping noise? LIke the compressor clicking on and off?

Sounds like your refrigerant has leaked out already.
No not like the compressor. I was maybe thinking the belt...

Sorry if this seems demanding, but would it be too much bother to open the hood and look?

Sorry if this seems demanding, but would it be too much bother to open the hood and look?

Lol, duh! You don't think i did that? Don't see anything. Still hear the noise... Belt doesn't slip.

Why was your system charged and by whom?

You, shop?

Shop? What kind of diagnostic did they do?

If it's low, it has a leak and maybe other issues. Charging it won't solve the problem beyond the size of the hole.

Looks like the AC compressor clutch is leaking at one of the bolts. To slapping noise is Air/r34 spitting out of that location when it engages. Is it as simple as changing a gasket?

New compressor.

I did it in a few hours. Need the proper tools. Uses torx or hex bolts I believe.

Vacuum pump and gauges is a absolute must.

3 cans DuPont R134a, add 4 OZ of PAG46 oil when replacing compressor, (assuming you do not have rear a/c)

Plenty of cheap salvage yard compressors on ebay... $50 ish

For someone like me that already has a/c tools and mechanic tools I replaced the compressor for under $100

A/C is my day job, so I can't see anything hard about this except the need for intelligent use of the proper tools. The compressor is right on the top in my car...bolt bolt bolt...Then pour in enough oil to match what came out with the old compressor, vacuum, and refill.

Might check your high side pressure before replacing the compressor. Buy a gauge set on sale at Harbor Freight for $44ish dollars. You'll need it anyways.

Might check your high side pressure before replacing the compressor. Buy a gauge set on sale at Harbor Freight for $44ish dollars. You'll need it anyways.
What would checking the highside pressure tell me?

Be sure to install new O rings for the compressor to manifold connection.
Oh yeah. I resent the price they charge for the o-rings, but they are an absolute must.

What would checking the highside pressure tell me?
I've seen a high-side o-ring blow-out caused by a blockage in the high side tubing. If this is true, the compressor might not be bad. It's just working against an impossible situation and blowing refrigerant because it doesn't have anyplace for the refrigerant to go.

Too high of pressures can warp the compressor housing, cause your leak.

The bottom line is, without measurements, you are guessing. If you're good at this, you can guess correctly almost all the time. I have been humbled many times in 40 years of A/C work, and I'm good at it.

So, you're going to need pressure gauges in the end. Buy them now and use them in the beginning. That should nail it down.
You can't really calculate an energy budget with a v-belt instead of the amps and volts that you can measure on an electrical compressor. You might guess that the belt is gripping or it's slipping, but I have already seen a compressor blow out a high side seal without the belt slipping, so that is not a valid clue. The only concrete evidence you can get is in measuring pressures and temperatures. Start measuring.

Um, these have both high side cut off switch and a high side pressure relief valve.

Pressure relief valves tend to "spit" quickly when they go off the first several times, then once worn they whistle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back