• Register Today It's free!

a/c on .....sputters then dies

MARTY196

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque,New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Okay so when the a/c is on and after driving around for a while, if I let it sit idling for a while (like 15-20 min) with the a/c on it starts to sputter and starts to die out. I push the gas peddle but it just sputters and then eventually dies out I can then turn the key off and on a couple of times and its fine for awhile after that but if I let it sit idling it will do the same thing. its not overheating or anything and it runs fine with the a/c on while your driving just when idle. if the a/c is off i could let it idle forever without anything happening. any suggestions or has this happened to anything else thanks

Have you watched your battery charging needle while this is happening? Maybe the computer isn't getting the voltage it needs, due to excessive voltage draw from the fan and A/C on full,or the belt is pulling on a worn compressor.

I believe it shuts off after getting below a certain voltage.

Im deff. gonna have to agree with Crankcase. Its deff. not a good idea to leave it on for a length of time anyway you could be killing your altenator.

hmm i never payed attention to the voltage meter when its happening. I guess i'll check it when its happening to see what it reads thanks......anyone else have any idea to check??

Back