• Register Today It's free!

A/C shuts off under acceleration

live&learn

Reaction score
City, State
Small town, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Hi all, I just bought a 2013 explorer limited 3.5l. Loving this thing so far. My problem is… a/c running, full acceleration the cool air turns off. I know in my vehicles from the past this meant it was a vacuum issue and the air would blow defrost. So, are these dampers electrically driven? Is this some sort of fuel saver or horsepower anti robber feature? Anyone else experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it come back on after you let off?
Most vehicles disengage AC during WOT, but automatically re-engage after the throttle is let off.

Hi all, I just bought a 2013 explorer limited 3.5l. Loving this thing so far. My problem is… a/c running, full acceleration the cool air turns off. I know in my vehicles from the past this meant it was a vacuum issue and the air would blow defrost. So, are these dampers electrically driven? Is this some sort of fuel saver or horsepower anti robber feature? Anyone else experience this?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is it just the cold air that cools off or does the A/C unit actually turn OFF? Does the fan speed change? I can't say I've noticed this in my vehicles, past and present but then I seldom need to use full acceleration.
I also found this; does A/C disengage under hard acceleration - Google Search

Peter

My problem is… a/c running, full acceleration the cool air turns off
That's not a problem, it's a programmed feature of the engine management system. Ford has been doing that for around 30 years.

Hi all, I just bought a 2013 explorer limited 3.5l. Loving this thing so far. My problem is… a/c running, full acceleration the cool air turns off. I know in my vehicles from the past this meant it was a vacuum issue and the air would blow t. I’m assuming these vehicles use
Does it come back on after you let off?
Most vehicles disengage AC during WOT, but automatically re-engage after the throttle is let off.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Is it just the cold air that cools off or does the A/C unit actually turn OFF? Does the fan speed change? I can't say I've noticed this in my vehicles, past and present but then I seldom need to use full acceleration.
I also found this; does A/C disengage under hard acceleration - Google Search

Peter
Between the replies and confirming with a mechanic friend this is completely normal, and like it has been mentioned it’s a power saving feature under WOT.
this is the first I’ve noticed this in any vehicle I’ve owned. And with it being a new to me vehicle it made me nervous that there was a problem with my truck. Anyway thanks to all for the replies

Ford has a WOT relay in all Fords since the first EFI vehicles they made. It passes current through to the AC clutch under all conditions except for full throttle. Newer cars may also alter the fan speed possibly, but the AC clutch definitely shuts off at WOT.

Ford design the AC clutch to shutoff upon Wide Open Throttle.

Back