A couple of questions from a new owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A couple of questions from a new owner

KeenEddie

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I recently bought a 1996 XLT and am having a couple of problems, nothing too major though.

The remote entry fobs wont work, and Ive followed the programing porcedures found int he ownders manual to reset them. After the doors lock and unlock from moving the key, when I hit any of the buttons on either of thr two remotes, nothing happens. Ideas?

The other issue is with the child locks for the back doors. They were set when I got the car, but even after unlocking them via the switch on the door, the rear doors still will not open from the inside. Just looking for suggestions before I pull the door apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My key fob was given to me. It didn't work, even after changing the battery. I took it apart, and cleaned out dust, etc. carefully. It has worked ever since, with the old battery.

Pull the rear panels off, look at it, sounds odd. Good luck,

Regarding the rear door locks, my '92 had a lever on the door jamb below the latch.

Chances are, being the door handles are plastic, someone might have pulled on them to hard not realizing the child locks were on and broke the teeth inside that engage the actuator rod to open the lock mechanism, I have that exact problem, but I don't mind it, it's fun when having friends in the car and you won't let them out...heh heh especially when they are the one's who broke them.... :D

Get new door handles, I guarantee they are broke.

As far as the remotes, open them up and clean the contacts, if that doesn't work, try new batteries.

peterbrown77 said:
Regarding the rear door locks, my '92 had a lever on the door jamb below the latch.

Mine did the same thing on one side. I just hit it a few time and moved the switch back and forth and it opened from the inside again.

I figured the door handles were broken, so that will be easy to fix. As for the remotes, ive cleaned them out and changed the batteries and still cannot get them to program. Not a big deal to me, but would like to know why its not working. Any other ideas?

next time you try and program the remotes, instead of just pressing the button and releasing, try holding the button down, and try it each time with each button, I remembered I had this problem a while ago with a brand new remote, where I would push the button, but it wouldn't program, and I held the button down and pushed a bit harder and it worked. Not sure if it will work here, but worth a shot.

One question I have is, if you have the keypad on the outside of the door, if so, does it work?

Back