A test run at Reiter Pit 1-22-05

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
First off a thank you to Arsoul for showing Albino and I around a bit of Reiter Pit. I only stuck around for a couple hours, but had a good time, and got my trial run with the extra lift and new tires.

Sadly the water got deeper than I could go through, and the detour got detoured in favor of lunch (dang kids needin' to eat :rolleyes: ). All in all I am glad I sat a few inches higher than a month ago cause that water gets deep :eek: .

Second observation BFG M/T's rock in the loose stuff, but that was later by lake cavanaugh where we went for lunch!

Third?........ Me, the sawzall, and my front fenders have got a date if I can get past my fears of cutting her up.

And lastly Albino's quite the driver, stock with 31's and he still makes it all look easy.

Here is a few pics. Of course there is only one pose shot of myself as I was driving. There are a couple of Albino, and one of Arsoul, all my others are really poor quality. Thanks again guys for showing me around a little.

This pic doesn't do justice to the tire spinning, dirt flingin action. ;) It took a few attempts, but Albino forced that pretty white girl on up and over.
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_004a.jpg

A poor shot of the EX-250 through the bushes. That thing is rad :D :D
I really wish I could have a solid axle after watching these guys flex today :( .
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_003a.jpg

Albino negotiating a washed out area.
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_005a.jpg

Me stretching a little and checking for some tire rub. Sorry no action shots.
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_001a.jpg

Albino got confused for a sec and thought he was driving the boat :cool:
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_007a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I stopped on the way home to look for a SeaRay emblem after that last one! :eek: I'll probably shy away from that much water in the future, at least I won't judge my line based on a truck in front of me with 42's. :rolleyes:

I too wish to thank Ryan for guiding us through some of the mellow trails. I couldn't help but feel snickered at when we arrived at the McD's and even more so when we arrived at the bottom of the hill at Reiter. After we fianlly got up that hill, I felt a little vidicated, but still out of my league.

Bryce, Travis wants to go back to Tahuya. :confused:

Thanks for the pictures :thumbsup:

Albino 94LTD said:
Bryce, Travis wants to go back to Tahuya. :confused:

:thumbsup:

tahuya is milder now than ever I went up last weekend, the only real obstacles there now is the rock gardens and the mud pit
They have closed off the trailhead because they are logging so no more hill climbs
here is a picture of my friends scott tacoma pulling a jeep out of muddle pit

Attachments

• DCP_0777a.JPG
    DCP_0777a.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 490

That is sad that they are logging the area (tahuya)even more. :(

Not that I like my face being an inch from a tree trunk and the passenger tire on a root........

So Albino, I keep looking at that "lake crossing and wondering how your interior stayed dry...... I can see where the trim line is on my door and you were in there deep.... the picture doesnt't due it justice for your front end was up on a rock. Right after that the headlight took a dive....

You need to bring your camera next time we go. I have all these pictures of everyone else doing fun stuff, and only a memory of bouncing and spinning with the front tire up in the air to prove it.

Though the memory of looking out at my tire 3/4 of the way under and feeling for you back there is pretty fresh too... when are we gonna raise those rocker panels up off the ground???

Any way heres another pic for ya.
20122Reiter_pit_1-21-05_002.jpg

I'm not sure how we stayed dry :confused: there was plenty of silt and sand on the door sill. BTW you need to spray your radiator from the back to get the flotsam and jetsam out. :D The BL i was thinking about wouldn't have mattered in that lake.

Dannyboy, if I actually did more wheelin, I'd like mine to look like yours :thumbsup: but once a year isn't enough to make me spend much money and my wife wants a new kitchen. :rolleyes:

A new kitchen, I bought my wife a new house 4 months ago now I can do what every I want :D

jrgaylor said:
A new kitchen, I bought my wife a new house 4 months ago now I can do what every I want :D
Yeah, but do you have the money to do what ever you want?? :rolleyes:

It was good to meet you all finally. If you had stuck around for another 45minutes, you would have witnessed the blazer on 42's and myself attempt the "PIT". We made it about 3/4 of the way, when the blazer couldnt go anymore (wouldnt go in reverse either). As my brother was getting the winch ready, I thought it would be a good idea to ram the blazer and push him through......bad idea, all that happened was i broke a light. after the blazer got through, I made a run for it....that blazer is tall, taller than me...mud came in through the doors, the engine sucked in mud....i dont think there's any perminant damage though...not even my ego...i atleast made an attempt at the impossiable mud pit. as i was draining the water/mud/oil mix, i noticed a branch or something must have jumped up and bit me. all the wiring for my rock lights and my front diff breather tube, t-case and trans breather tubes have been ripped off....so i have water in those as well. the video camera got wet before all that happened, but we got some good video of the rocks before we came back to the mud pit. i'll burn them to dvd for you guys.

Albino 94LTD said:
Yeah, but do you have the money to do what ever you want?? :rolleyes:

I don't have the money, but Shiloh just rolls her eyes and lets me be. I guess she has learned over the years that when I want something there is little that she can do to stop me. I knew there was a reason I never combined our finances, and we manage our own money. Bills get split down the middle. She pics up food cost, and I pic up "recreation". Sadly the latter usually costs more as it includes going out for dinner and drinks as well as all our day trips and mini vacations.

In the end she has no clue how much money I have, nor how much I spend. I won't tell her unless she asks either, so no trouble for me..... Now, one day she will realize how much I have sunk into that truck, but surely not till I am done..And Shhh don't tell what gears and selectable lockers cost :cool:

Hee heee my daddy taught me well, squirling money away all year for hunting season and truck repairs/upgrades. None of us ever knew all the secrets in his Ranger untill I started on the Explorer.

The day he bought it he took it in and had a 4" suspension kit put on with 32's and came home in it 2 days latter saying they had to fix a couple things. None of the family had seen it so we knew no better when he rolled in. He didn't say anything when he added set of lockers and 4.10's either, nor the t-case doubler. I had no clue what any of that was 10 years ago, but he and my brother did and kept the secret well. It was just last year while crawling up a little side road in The Verlot District that he fessed up to me..... I doubt my mom knows at all.

Anyway, lucky me that the significant other doesn't visit this site. Back on subject..................................
Thanks again Ryan, and I am sorry to hear about the water woes. That last "lake " where Phil and I turned around was just scary. I think I will let it dry out a little before I head up the Index Wall trail in the future. The "powerline" trail was fun and easy though.

Hmm today is cleaning day huh.... maybe the interior and the engine bay....it'll take all day on it's own :rolleyes:

I would love to see the vidio :D Didn't get me going up Albino's Hill did ya? I am curious what got Travis so excited about my climb :D

didnt get that hill climb on video....but you did catch air....

Trav was excited WE finally made it, then you did it, first try :thumbsup: so you are even cooler than dad :cool:

Just finished checking wheel bearings, I must be lucky. Only the passenger outer showed signs of water. I suppose I should do the diff fluids. I extended the front up into the engine bay but the rear is still stock.

If there are more trails like 'power line', we should try again since Tahuya sounds dead.

I suppose I should contact 'Bama' Doug and put a hold on my Apten Diablo replacement and use that money for a lift?? Still debating BL or SL, 2"-3".

Advice anyone?? :confused:

The bl is the easy one to do, what do you want to do? just bigger tires, articulation etc.. fiberglass fenders will allow you to fit the bigger meats and still maintain the factory Vibration (ride) :D
I almost have all the parts for the James Duff 2.5" lift, I don't know what I am going to do with it, and right now JD has their new radius arms on sale for $399

skyjacker used to have a 2" kit for like $175, dont know if they still do, it's a add-a-leaf and new coils. I installed one for a friend and he used the stock shocks. It makes an Explorer look real good on a 15x8 with 31s, far superior to stock and about 1/5 install time compared to a body lift.

Dannyboy said:
skyjacker used to have a 2" kit for like $175, dont know if they still do, it's a add-a-leaf and new coils. I installed one for a friend and he used the stock shocks. It makes an Explorer look real good on a 15x8 with 31s, far superior to stock and about 1/5 install time compared to a body lift.

Now here's the deal for you. Though it wouldn't hurt to spend a bit more and replace the spring packs on the rear with a 2" lift spring they also offer. MMM.. All new springs or just raising the body and worrying about steering bind and other lines??????

LOL what am I doing trying to spend your money since I ran out..
2" looks good with 31's any higher and they start making you want bigger tires. :D

Off to bed after scrubbing all these sheet metal shavings out of my hair...........no more tire rub but that raised my blood pressure a little :(

If I am lucky I can make the mud flaps go on now without touching the tire, If so you'll never know what I did all evening.. If not you'll have to look close...well at least on the passenger side. The drivers needs some touching up :rolleyes:

As to the next time out .... lets let it dry out a little.....and give you a reason to test your rig out in the meantime..... Let me know and I'll help or at least watch ;)

I'm pissed I missed out... :(

Great pics. I had no idea Albino would get that X dirty LOL

Premier said:
Great pics. I had no idea Albino would get that X dirty LOL
No worries ;) we stopped at the car wash on the way home :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Snow... I was wondering if we might bump into you up there, but maybe next time, Sounds like Albino wouldn't mind finding some more stuff to play on like the climb along the powerlines.........

When are we doing that lift again Albino???? :D

Nice Avatar by the way ;) I thought you might like that one.

Back