• Register Today It's free!

A4LD issue?

Wheeler3597

Reaction score
City, State
Hope BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Hey all! Recently bought a 1994 explorer XLT. Was out for a rip up some logging roads when my A4LD got way to hot, slipped out of gear and wouldn't move. After getting it towed home I dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid, fluid was toasted and dark brown/black in colour. After that the truck still couldn't move under it's own weight, would clunk into gear after about 15 seconds and slip out of gear under the slightest acceleration. So I'd figured I'd try Lucas transmission fix. I've been able to drive around for the last couple months now and I'm kind of baffled and concerned because I was fairly certain my trans was toast... Do I still have a transmission problem? I was thinking it was my torque converter because I noticed a slight shudder while driving. I have a spare trans that I was planning on rebuilding and swapping but I don't want to put in the effort if my current trans is fine. Any ideas?

Your transmission is living on borrowed time. The additive has swelled all rubber pieces and will work for a while. Just know it could leave you stranded at any time. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Back