A4ld line bored bell housing problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4ld line bored bell housing problems

patmorrison

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Have any of you experienced this?

When I went to put my pump onto my bellhousing, the pump alignment tool would not fit into the bushing on the bell housing. The directions say that the tool should fit right between the outside of the pump shaft and the inside of the bushing, but this one doesnt.

I checked the bushing that came in the rebuild kit, and it fits around the tool nicely, but when I try and place the tool inside the line-bored bushing it doesnt fit.

I wonder if this is a defect in machining, or if this is normal.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pat I had a similar issue with the Omega bore. I addded paper as a bushing to maintain concentricity. However, I have a new alignment tool if you want to try it (not the FORD tool). Let me know. How'd the rest of the rebuild go ?

its going well, although Ive been in hawaii the last 2 weeks, so no work has been done. I tried putting the pump on the other day and found this little problem I hope i didnt screw up the bushing, I tried to tap the tool into the hole thinking it was a tight fit. I hope it is still within tolerance now.

I found that my rear end play was much too big. Fearing the worst, I took it apart to check on the sprag race to see if it was flush. Turned out to be ok. The culprit was that little plastic oil cone near the rear of the case. The new one was a bit thicker than the old one. I replaced it with the old one and the endplay came out to be reasonable. The old one didnt look too bad.

I need to torque my bands to spec. I have to dig around to see if I have some 12 point sockets that will fit the square end. I also have to replace the servos. I think after I finish with the pump problem the rest should go smoothly.

Valve body was the first thing i rebuilt. ITs just waiting to go in.

I think what Ill do is replace all the things that require the tools in the C-3 kit, then I can exchange that with you before borrowing the other pump allignment tool. Maybe sometime toward the end of this week ill be ready for it. I have to graduate (finally) and take a final and all that school stuff.

I really appreciate all your advice and allowing me to borrow your tools. Its really made the project doable.

Thanks.

Pat I have to confess my mystery about the oil cone... that is not in the setup as a bearing surface and wonder why it makes a difference..... that is a concern.

As for using my tools it was not a prob. Maybe I can get you to turn a couple rear races for me <g>. The beer was good too!

Anyway I am gonna think on that cone...that bothers me...... it should not come into play.

yea, I think it was a case in which the taller oil cone interfered with the usual fit of the reverse planetary. The cone did not fit flush with the surface of the ring gear. It was significantly thicker than the original cone. I think it was so thick that the planetary was no longer sitting on the thrust washer between it and the ring gear, but sitting on the cone itself.

Just my theory. The original parts fit together fine with the new thrust washer, and gave good endplay. The thicker cone made the endplay different.

Good news.

I talked with Denis from Omega, and asked about thier bushing. He said they tighten the tolerances up to make it less sloppy, and that the ford tool would not fit it. He also said that I could bring the bellhousing in so that they can double check their measurements and check to see if I in fact knocked the bushing out of tolerance when I tried tapping the tool into it. Then He offered to let me borrow thier alignment tool as well for a deposit. Attaching the pump is so easy that I could probably install my pump in the parking lot and give the tool back to them there in about 5 minutes.

That's good to know, thanks!

So, I went down to omega today, and everything went well. They checked out the bushing and decided that it was still ok. Then they checked all of their alignment tools and found one that fit within the bushing. This tool did not however, fit onto the pump so they went in the back and machined it out a little until it fit the pump shaft. They let me use their workbench to put my pump in with their tool. Overall, it was a good experience with Omega. They were very courteous and willing to help me solve the problem.

If anyone else decides to do this rebuild, id highly recommend they get their bellhousing from these guys. Quality parts with good customer service.

http://www.omegamachine.com/

:chug:

I'd echo Pat's comments. Nice shop, and they know what they are doing.

Back