tranny leaking from bell housing

madmike

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Yuma, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt, 93 SAS xlt
today when I was driving home from town my x started smoking really bad, so when I pulled over to see what it was I found that the smoke was comming from transmission fluid dripping on to my exaust pipe. If anyone has had this problem please let me know what I need to fix, my friend says that it is probably the front seal in the tranny but all the shops I've called say it could be alot of things like the t-converter or pump seal so if anyone has advise let me know. also the tranny is running really well, shifts great but since the lift my engine is running slightly higher than normal and my oil pressure is up alittle. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

me again the engine oil pressure is slightly higher not the engine oops.

It sounds like the front pump seal (common on all automatics). The only way to fix it is to remove the tranny, since there is no way to get to the pump with the tranny installed.

thanks mike

I've been doing some research and I figure that it is either that or the front seal, but I've also found a couple of guys that have had the same problem and due to the high engine temp and the fact I was driving around in OD the over flow was pumping , this morning on the way to work I put my fan shroud back on and the temp went down to normal and also drove in drive and the leak stopped, drove around 15 miles on the highway comming to work and no leaks when I got here so hope that does it. thanks again for the info

DRIVING AROUND W/OUT THE FAN SHROUD IS NOT GOOD YOU MAKE THE FAN USELESS THE SHROUD HELPS PULL THE AIR THOUGH THE RAIDIATOR NOT A GOOD PRACTICE.. ALSO YOU CAN DESTROY YOUR TRANNY FAST
HEAT KILLS.....LARRY

Broken flex plate?

My 96 EB had similiar symptoms this summer. It had not been overheated as some thought. Turned out to be a broken flex plate. Took out the torque converter, front seal, and pump. Not any other damage, but I had it resealed as it was already on the bench and had 75,000 miles on it. It is also now sporting a brand new tranny cooler as a preventative measure.

Apparently the flex plate issue is not rare according to the shop that did the work for me.

Let us know how you come out.

Michael, If you dont mind how much did that set you back$$$$$$$ just so I can get some kind of idea. thanks, mike

Most of that information went into my "Write Only Memory". I can dig out the reciept and give you more details next week as I'm about to head out to mom's for the holiday weekend.

Here's my best shot from the hip. It was about $500 labor including a thorough inspection. The new torque converter was abou $300, $150 for the flex, about $100 for the pump. Then of course the fluid, filter etc. About $1200 for the repairs. On top of that, I had it resealed and replaced the planetary gears that are a known catastrophic failure item.

If you want more detail, let me know and I'll fish out the receipt. (That's why we write this stuff down!!)

TTFN....Michael

I just experienced a tranny leak today between the bellhousing and engine, pretty consistent one too after a 2 hr road trip, nice big puddle 1/8th of a quart.....mind you that the blend door was broke and stuck in the cold position. it was F*&% 3 degrees outside and i didn't have a heater for 2 hrs!!!!!!

i was reading madmikes post and he mentioned something about the engine being too hot and that might cause the tranny to leak(dont know how). im seeing a lot of front seals being blown on this 4x4central.com and not too hard to replace. has any one had sucess with replacing this seal and getting the tranny to stop leaking?

this is the 1st time the tranny has leaked and this was the 1st time i didnt use the heater on a long road trip.......maybe these go hand in hand? anyways im scared to drive the explorer b.c i dont want to put a $2000 tranny in it....so i have it parked and im driving around a geo prizm right now until it warms up here in ohio to at least 40 degress before i do any work. thanks for the input, this website and the people have been great!!!! as soon as i got home from my trip i fixed the blend door in :30mins with the quick fix from 4x4central..
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1996, auto, 4x4, 85k miles, and tranny flush at 60k miles

same leak got questions.

i am having the same problem with my ex.The first time it happened to me i was driving about 70 miles an hour for about a half an hour.Then it didnt do it again then it just happened to me this weekend i was wheeling in some sand and i was wheeling for about half an hour. and it started to leak out the bell housing again so my question is how come it only does it when it seems like to me.when the pressure in the tranny builds up.YOur info would help out alot...

I owe a 1991 Explorer with 95000 miles on it. I have been driving it without too much trouble, originally in the US and for the last 10 years in Europe. Local Ford dealerships are not very acquainted with this car, but I managed to maintain it with the help of my workshop manual and good mechanical ability. Now the car has let me down seriously however with a massive transmission oil leak. I was just able to drive it to the closest dealership here in the south of France , topping it up with a gallon of fluid to drive 15 miles ! It shows indeed a serious fluid leak between the bellhousing and engine.
From previous posts, this might seem like an oil pump seal. Given the transmission is working properly as long as the fluid is on level, would this be the most likely cause or could there be other nastyer causes ?

What is involved in a oil pump seal replacement ? Any indications on repair and parts cost ? If parts would be hard to get locally, could somebody point me to a reliable source in the US ?

Thanks for your quick reply

Martin

tranny leak

i replaced the torque converter b/c there might have been a hairline fracture on the weld along the shaft and recieved a new seal(my old seal had no signs of tearing/wear). The cost was about 200$ and i have 200miles under the new converter without leak. I can not help you on finding the parts; only b/c i took the transmission to a shop and they has the parts there. im sure someone will chime in here as to where you should go. best of luck

Back