• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Reverse Servo O-Ring

89RangerDad

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ranger XLT 4WD
I ordered an o-ring and gasket kit to replace the old ones and the large ring is much smaller than the old one. I would expect some difference but the new o-ring is below the edge of the recessed groove. The vendor responded to my email stating it will swell from the heat an oil. First time replacing this seal but it does not look like the right seal. Can anyone who has replaced the seal tell me if that o-ring should initially fit like that in the recess?

Reverse Servo Piston O-ring.JPG

Reverse Servo Piston Side View.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should fit correctly when it's installed. Certain types of additives such as Lucas cause old seals to swell. I would recommend the Trans Tec D ring kit. The thick square gasket is usually reusable unless it shows signs of deterioration.

Welcome to the forum. Lot of good members and information here. That is the incorrect o ring for that application. As @BrooklynBay indicated there is a D ring kit available for this application. I have never used the D ring kit in my overhauls so can’t say that it’s any better than the correct o ring. Good luck
P.S. Don’t know what time frame you are under but I would be happy to drop the correct o rings in the mail for you.
Brad

I've read in other threads on this site that the D ring kit helped with the delayed engagement into reverse issue which some members have experienced. I haven't tried it either but I'm just going by recommendations from other members.

Global Transmissions credited me for the O-ring. I did order o-ring kit from Transmission Parts USA. From what I read on other posts is that has the TransTec D-rings. I had emailed them and left voice messages to try and confirm they are D-rings. but never received a response back.
I have read that the large spring is not needed on the reverse servo and leaving it out helps alleviate the slow engagement.
Thanks for the replies!

Back