A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released

RedDen

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released!

http://ford.navigation.com/product-list/Catalog/Catalog_Ford_Explorer_2011/en_US/FordNA/USD

"SYNC Navigation System Map Update for the United States and Canada.
Get accurate directions to wherever you travel with this map update that identifies new roads, subdivisions, business and points of interest. Drive confidently through unfamiliar or recently changed areas and arrive at your destination quickly and efficiently.
This map includes new and expanded coverage in hundreds of cities, counties and metropolitan areas across the 50 United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.
This update will only work on SYNC systems that use an SD Card for Navigation.
Your vehicle may require a software update prior to installing this update. For more details please click here.
This map update is Database Version A7.
Please confirm that your navigation SD card is NOT A7 or B7 prior to buying this map update. If A7 or B7 is printed on the navigation SD card found in your vehicle's SD Card slot do not purchase this update."

I see A7 maps on ebay already for a week now, but was not sure if those are legitimate, because when I checked Ford web site there was A6 still listed

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321959164630

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow $150....geez. No wonder no one updates it.

I believe mine has the A6.

It bothers my sometimes when I drive thru nowhere, but mostly when I drive thru some new major free flow.

Map Updates

I recently updated from A4 to A6, purchased on Ebay for $42.00. No way I am spending $150.00. that's crazy! Stay one version behind for a reasonable price.

Bill

Geez, I've had my car less than a week. Shouldn't I get the latest map?

It depends on when A7 was released. It was likely after your Ex was built.

Peter

"Buy" this update. NONSENSE! I recall when I purchased my Explorer the Nav was a $900 option.
These maps should be "Free" "Lifetime" upgrades from Ford.

I'll wait for the FREE pirated software file and fix!!!

"Buy" this update. NONSENSE! I recall when I purchased my Explorer the Nav was a $900 option.
These maps should be "Free" "Lifetime" upgrades from Ford.

I'll wait for the FREE pirated software file and fix!!!

I don't think anyone has copied the Geodata for the SD cards yet have they?

Have you seen A4-A6 freeware files out there?

Just wait till CarPlay or Android Auto comes out, people will use Google or Apple Maps and no one will be buying these anyways.

Seems silly a $23K 16 Honda Civic can run CarPlay but a $50K 16 Explorer cant.

anyone tried to make a copied image of the SD and put it on another one to see if it works?

They have it protected with a "key" which I believe is related to the serial of the SD card. Copying it doesn't work.

There is no need to make an image of data, just copy all the data and if you have key generator it works...

From what I have read is that the "unlocking Mechanism" is not associated with the memory card but that your vehicle/touchscreen has been unlocked at the factory when you ordered the Nav option.
In other words if you had 2 Ford vehicles, yours has nav, your wife's doesn't. You can't just take the card out and put it in hers to use for the day. Won't work.
So since the key is not associated with the card I imagine it can be copied and used in a vehicle that has the nav option

This makes sense! Imagine from Fords point of view...is it better that the few who paid a ridiculous $900 for nav resort to piracy and just get lifetime updated maps from time to time or that the rest (10X more people) who didn't pay a penny potentially get a complete full nav package for free should the card get cracked. Also, Ford has the locking mechanism on the vehicle itself because they want $900ea for Nav...not some other company benefit and get $150 when they sell SD maps cards.

From what I have read is that the "unlocking Mechanism" is not associated with the memory card but that your vehicle/touchscreen has been unlocked at the factory when you ordered the Nav option.
In other words if you had 2 Ford vehicles, yours has nav, your wife's doesn't. You can't just take the card out and put it in hers to use for the day. Won't work.
So since the key is not associated with the card I imagine it can be copied and used in a vehicle that has the nav option

This makes sense! Imagine from Fords point of view...is it better that the few who paid a ridiculous $900 for nav resort to piracy and just get lifetime updated maps from time to time or that the rest (10X more people) who didn't pay a penny potentially get a complete full nav package for free should the card get cracked. Also, Ford has the locking mechanism on the vehicle itself because they want $900ea for Nav...not some other company benefit and get $150 when they sell SD maps cards.

Ford does lock the vehicle based on nav status. However, from a software perspective, the company that makes the nav data (mapping all of the roads) needs to protect their software and the SD card is in fact locked with a software license file that is married to the SD card hardware. I'm sure this could be hacked by someone who takes the time and has the know-how to scour the hexadecimal code, however simply copying to another SD card won't work. I'm sure Ford is marking it up handsomely like other accessories, but software issue is larger in scope than just Ford.

Navigation card has SdCard.key file which is generated using some algorithm and is based on an SD card serial number. When one inserts SD card with navigation maps SYNC checks if this SdCard.key file valid or not.
Basically, if SdCard.key file was generated correctly for non-write protected card then it is possible to re-use it with different maps version like A6, A7, A8 and so on just replacing map data itself with keeping that SdCard.key file intact.

MFT and Nav Latest Versions

I just picked up my new Platinum last Friday. I was looking through system settings and noticed that I believe I have older maps and MFT software installed... The MFT updates are free, but maps should be A7? Can I get the dealer to install that for free?

S/W Version: 3.08.15128.EA.10_PRODUCT
Nav App: 4.66.5
Map Database: A6

How do I update those? I signed up for SyncMyRide.com but didn't see where new software could be downloaded.

I just picked up my new Platinum last Friday. I was looking through system settings and noticed that I believe I have older maps and MFT software installed... The MFT updates are free, but maps should be A7? Can I get the dealer to install that for free?

S/W Version: 3.08.15128.EA.10_PRODUCT
Nav App: 4.66.5
Map Database: A6

How do I update those? I signed up for SyncMyRide.com but didn't see where new software could be downloaded.
You have the latest MFT software and map SD card that Ford supplies. A7 just came out but I'm not sure if it is in any of the newer vehicles. It can be purchased if you want it. This A7 card has been discussed before.

Peter

You have the latest MFT software and map SD card that Ford supplies. A7 just came out but I'm not sure if it is in any of the newer vehicles. It can be purchased if you want it. This A7 card has been discussed before.

I thought the newest Sync is 3.8. Is that the same as 3.08?

I would assume that new cars should be loaded with the latest database. I don't want to have to spend another $149 to purchase the latest if I just got the car.

I thought the newest Sync is 3.8. Is that the same as 3.08?

I would assume that new cars should be loaded with the latest database. I don't want to have to spend another $149 to purchase the latest if I just got the car.
That is V3.8. I checked that with mine the other day in response to another post. As for the A7 card, I have merged your thread with this existing on on that topic.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up my 16 Ex on Friday and it has version A6... I am going to email my sales guy and see what he can do about getting it updated. It should have the latest when I buy it...

Back