• Register Today It's free!

? about fuel octane

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
ok, i use shell v-power 93 octane for 2 reasons. first there fuel has that nitrogen fuel additive in all 3 grades. second is because i have a tune from james at henson performance on my sct-xcal-2. do i really need to use 93 octane to get the most out of my tune? or could i use 87 or even 89?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your tune requires 93, then that is what you should use to prevent harmful detonation.

Dan

What did James name the tune he sent you? If it has 89 in it then it's probably for 89 octane and you're wasting money buying 93 octane. If you have the SOHC then your knock sensor should prevent detonation damage.

well james programmed 3 tunes when i bought it from him. then i had a guy named adam out of new york send me 3 more. he is a sct dealer. but for him i did some data logging runs and sent him the info and he fine tuned every thing by looking at my runs. im currently using a performance tune and i believe its for 93 octane. the other 2 are.

i have a tune from james at henson performance on my sct-xcal-2. do i really need to use 93 octane to get the most out of my tune?

You should probably ask james at henson performance.

If he says the tune requires 93, use 93. Otherwise the engine will probably knock.

A higher octane tune makes sense when you need performance, but driving around with it 24/7 can be expensive, since in most places the 20-cent/gal price premium for 93 is now even higher.

You could probably use the regular tune and just switch to 93 when you have the need to run the performance tune that requires it.

You should probably ask james at henson performance.

If he says the tune requires 93, use 93. Otherwise the engine will probably knock.

A higher octane tune makes sense when you need performance, but driving around with it 24/7 can be expensive, since in most places the 20-cent/gal price premium for 93 is now even higher.

You could probably use the regular tune and just switch to 93 when you have the need to run the performance tune that requires it.
yea i could ask james. but i think what you said is probably true. i mean i drive pretty normal but get on it here and there. i was thinking maybe try in the middle with 89.

I wouldn't suggest using 89 octane when running a tune for 93.

Either use the 93 tune and put in the 93 octane gas it calls for, or
use a tune for 87 so you can save some dough on the less expensive fuel grade.

Messing around trying to get the performance without paying the price for the fuel the tune requires could lead to some very expensive consequences. The knock sensor and the ECM can only do so much.

Also, 89 octane is just 87 with some 93 mixed in to raise the octane rating. I'd say just use either one or the other, 87 for daily driving, 93 for top end performance.

Back